David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

I cannot open my bank statement. I have Adobe reader which

Customer Question

I cannot open my bank statement. I have Adobe reader which it requires but a blank pop up saying it is connected to the bank is as far as it gets. Until a month ago the PDF option always appeared as a download. It isn't working on either Firefox or Safari. I have an Imac
OSX version 10.6.8

Thank you..Yvonne
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

This could be a plug ins issue. Click Finder on the Dock. Then click the Go menu at the top. Click Go To Folder. Type: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and click Go.

Empty the contents of that folder to the Trash, then restart and test.

Please get back to me if this fails.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I forgot to mention I tried this earlier getting that information from another source. However after typing it in and clicking go it says the folder cannot be found

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

This time just try /Library/ and click Go. Then look for the Plug Ins folder, empty it, and restart.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still says cannot find the folder

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

That's very strange. In the Go To Folder text box, type just /Library

Please make sure your using a forward slash before the word, and capital L.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still says the same.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

It must be there for the computer to be booted up, very strange.

Open a Finder window by clicking the Finder icon on the Dock. In the Sidebar click Macintosh HD. Do you see Library there?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I see Library there.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Great, open that folder and look for the Plug-Ins folder rand empty it to the Trash and restart.

If it fails still please get back to me.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean where it says Internet Plug Ins. There is a bunch in there. Then how do I restart?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Yes, move all those to the Trash, then restart from the Apple menu in the top left.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay I restarted the computer. Now what?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Now try your bank and see if the PDF downloads or opens.

Sincerely David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it opened. Can't thank you enough. Now what to do about the libray in the trash. Do I need to recover those?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

You just put plug ins in the Trash, you can empty the Trash now. That's great news :)

Feel free to ask me any follow ups.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But now there is no Library in my Mac HD file. Does that matter. I do not understand what the plug ins do or are for and whether I need to keep them or recover them??

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

You should still have the Library folder, double check as before.

The plug ins were corrupt, and had to be deleted, and if one is needed again it is a minute download and takes seconds to reinstall.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it is there now. Thank you so much. Still can't get the statement on Safari but can on Firefox.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

In Safari, click the Safari menu, and click Reset Safari and try again.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try later. I leave for a vacation in the morning.

Thanks for you help...Yvonne

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Have a great holiday, feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After getting my computer opening the PDF files I cannot open several videos and it says I have to install Adobe Flash Player. I had it before. It will not download for me. You told me when I downloaded I would then get the plug ins back but it hasn't happened. Several things say I need plug ins but a pop up says they can't be found.

Also. I still cannot open my bank statement pdf on Safari.

Thanks..Yvonne

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Yvonne,

Sorry to hear there are still some issues. First let's work on the Adobe Flash issue.

First remove it, use the instructions here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Then get the latest version here:
get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Then test. If this is resolved we will take a look at Safari next.

Kind regards,
David.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got it Adobe Flash back.

When I click on view for my bank statement on Safari it won't go further. A blank pop up appears. On Firefox I can get it.

Thanks for your help...Yvonne

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Yvonne,

Open Adobe Reader in the Applications folder. Click the Adobe Reader menu in the top left and click Preferences.

Then click Internet, and there should be a checkbox to set Adobe Reader to view PDF's in the browser.

Regards,
David.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks David.

One more question. In Finder, under devices it shows Flash player twice at the same time. Do I leave those in there or eject them? Or maybe just one?

Yvonne

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Yvonne,

Those are both virtual disk images, and you can eject them and they disappear. The image files can be deleted from your Downloads folder too, they take up space and are not needed any more.

Just make sure to check Software Update in the Apple menu every couple of weeks, and use a good backup system, and it should be all good.

Best regards,
David.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.

I am keeping you in my folder just in case but things seem good for now.

Sincerely...Yvonne

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome :)

Thanks! It's probably easier to bookmark http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-machelpdesk/ if you have any Mac issues :)

Yours Sincerely,
David.