David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975
Mac

I cannot open my bank statement. I have Adobe reader which

it requires but a blank... Show More
it requires but a blank pop up saying it is connected to the bank is as far as it gets. Until a month ago the PDF option always appeared as a download. It isn't working on either Firefox or Safari. I have an Imac
OSX version 10.6.8

Thank you..Yvonne
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

This could be a plug ins issue. Click Finder on the Dock. Then click the Go menu at the top. Click Go To Folder. Type: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and click Go.

Empty the contents of that folder to the Trash, then restart and test.

Please get back to me if this fails.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I forgot to mention I tried this earlier getting that information from another source. However after typing it in and clicking go it says the folder cannot be found

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
,

This time just try /Library/ and click Go. Then look for the Plug Ins folder, empty it, and restart.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Still says cannot find the folder

That's very strange. In the Go To Folder text box, type just /Library

Please make sure your using a forward slash before the word, and capital L.

Regards,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Still says the same.

It must be there for the computer to be booted up, very strange.

Open a Finder window by clicking the Finder icon on the Dock. In the Sidebar click Macintosh HD. Do you see Library there?

Thanks,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Yes I see Library there.

Great, open that folder and look for the Plug-Ins folder rand empty it to the Trash and restart.

If it fails still please get back to me.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Do you mean where it says Internet Plug Ins. There is a bunch in there. Then how do I restart?

Yes, move all those to the Trash, then restart from the Apple menu in the top left.

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Okay I restarted the computer. Now what?

Now try your bank and see if the PDF downloads or opens.

Sincerely David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Yes it opened. Can't thank you enough. Now what to do about the libray in the trash. Do I need to recover those?

You just put plug ins in the Trash, you can empty the Trash now. That's great news :)

Feel free to ask me any follow ups.

Best regards,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

But now there is no Library in my Mac HD file. Does that matter. I do not understand what the plug ins do or are for and whether I need to keep them or recover them??

You should still have the Library folder, double check as before.

The plug ins were corrupt, and had to be deleted, and if one is needed again it is a minute download and takes seconds to reinstall.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is there now. Thank you so much. Still can't get the statement on Safari but can on Firefox.

In Safari, click the Safari menu, and click Reset Safari and try again.

Best regards,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I will try later. I leave for a vacation in the morning.

Thanks for you help...Yvonne

Have a great holiday, feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

After getting my computer opening the PDF files I cannot open several videos and it says I have to install Adobe Flash Player. I had it before. It will not download for me. You told me when I downloaded I would then get the plug ins back but it hasn't happened. Several things say I need plug ins but a pop up says they can't be found.

Also. I still cannot open my bank statement pdf on Safari.

Thanks..Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

Sorry to hear there are still some issues. First let's work on the Adobe Flash issue.

First remove it, use the instructions here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Then get the latest version here:
get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Then test. If this is resolved we will take a look at Safari next.

Kind regards,
David.

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Got it Adobe Flash back.

When I click on view for my bank statement on Safari it won't go further. A blank pop up appears. On Firefox I can get it.

Thanks for your help...Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

Open Adobe Reader in the Applications folder. Click the Adobe Reader menu in the top left and click Preferences.

Then click Internet, and there should be a checkbox to set Adobe Reader to view PDF's in the browser.

Regards,
David.

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Thanks David.

One more question. In Finder, under devices it shows Flash player twice at the same time. Do I leave those in there or eject them? Or maybe just one?

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

Those are both virtual disk images, and you can eject them and they disappear. The image files can be deleted from your Downloads folder too, they take up space and are not needed any more.

Just make sure to check Software Update in the Apple menu every couple of weeks, and use a good backup system, and it should be all good.

Best regards,
David.

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.

I am keeping you in my folder just in case but things seem good for now.

Sincerely...Yvonne

You're welcome :)

Thanks! It's probably easier to bookmark http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-machelpdesk/ if you have any Mac issues :)

Yours Sincerely,
David.