David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

My itunes wont allow me to sync to my ipod

Customer Question

My itunes won't allow me to sync to my ipod
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

What data is not syncing?

Are there any error messages when you Restore?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All data is not syncing. I only have songs.

It says I don't have internet but I am plugged in and am surfing the web. It also said this when I turned off my firewalls.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Very strange. Does the music play normally through iTunes on the computer?

Also, does the error appear as soon as you connect the device, if not exactly when does it happen?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah it plays music in fact I am listening to it right now.

No the error message happens when I try and go to the itunes store.So I can't but anything cause I can't get to the store through itunes

Also when I plug in my ipod it only allows me to eject the ipod and I can't do anything else

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Are you using Mac or PC?

Try downloading the latest iTunes for your computer.

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Please get back to me if this fails,

Thanks in advance,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I uninstalled it I got the newest version

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Is it Mac or PC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry PC

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

No worries. You said you tried turning off anti-virus and firewall already, but they may have turned on when restarting, but let's look at all the things we can try first. There is a long list, please be patient with me.

First I need to know which version of Windows you are using, sorry I should have asked before.

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Vista

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

First close all applications. Then on the Start menu, go to All Programs > Accessories and then right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator from the shortcut menu. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.

In the command window, type:

ipconfig /flushdns

and press Return on the keyboard.

You should see a message that the DNS Resolver Cache has been successfully flushed.

Try the iTunes Store first,let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing, it stops and says iTunes on the screen and goes no further and the same with my ipod just says charging and eject ipod

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Did the command say the DNS cache were flushed?

Was there an error when clicking the Store link in iTunes?

Thanks for your continued patience. This particular problem has a lot of potential causes and we will go through them all.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it said it was flushed

No error message but just won't go to the store and says iTunes on the screen

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Next go to Add/Remove Program's, and uninstall any pop up blockers, anti-virus and third party firewalls.

Restart and test the Store again.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Stupid question if I restart my computer how will I get back to you?

will it say pop up blockers and third party firewalls

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi, first bookmark this page to get back to me. You should recognize them by name in the list, they should say something regarding pop up blockers, anti-virus, or firewall.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Firewall off and antivirus uninstalled and still won't connect

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Click the help menu and click Run Diagnostics. Please get back to me with what it says in the Network section.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Security link to itunes store failed

Sync test completed successfully

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Open this article and click the FixIt button, it will repair the hosts file if it is the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still won't proceed

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Open this link:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3297

Expand the section 'Blocked By Configuration, and follow all 13 steps.

Let me know if you have any issues with the steps.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still trying to access the store

But I got a notifier for the first time

Apple Sync Notifier stopped working

I clicked on it and it sent me to the DEP part but I don't know if I should do anything

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
I need to sign off for a few hours sleep, but all be back on in the morning. Thanks for your patience! I will research this and get a fix.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sounds good! Thanks for your help so far

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Go to All Program's, look for an Apple folder, and look for a controls panel. Try uninstalling MobileMe from there. If you can't then go to Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall anything that mentions MobileMe. Restart and test iTunes.

Thanks for your patience :)

David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still not working. Its accessing but won't go any farther

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

So now it doesn't give the error any more? Did you go through all 13 steps including removing Proxy settings?

If so then we can try a few other things.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes did all 13 steps but is still stuck on accessing the store

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

There are so many things this could be as I said before. Thanks for your patience.

The date and time need to be set correctly on your computer.

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Click "Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options" and then click Date and Time.

Click the Date & Time tab.

Make sure that the date and time settings are configured to use the current date and time and then click OK.

Now try the Store.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are correct

I ran diagnostics again and it said secure link to itunes store failed

I tunes help unavailable because computer isn't connected to internet

and it said it can't find an ipod even though its connected

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

The saga continues. Next lets reset Winsock.

Close your iTunes, go to command prompt again.

Click START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES, right mouse click "Command Prompt", choose "Run as Administrator".

In the "Command Prompt" screen, type:

netsh winsock reset

Hit "ENTER" key, then restart your computer.

If you do get a prompt after restart windows to remap LSP, just click NO.

Open iTunes and check the store again.

Get back to me if this fails.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

IT WORKED!!!!! YAY!!
Now how do I get it to sync my music. Its like it won't recognize my ipod

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I turn on my firewall and antivirus?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Let's try fix the iPod first, and then test if turning on the Firewall and anti virus breaks it again.

What type of iPod is it, and what exactly happens when the iPod is connected?

Sorry for the delay, thanks again.
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I reset the ipod so there is nothing on it. Its plugged into my computer but doesn't show up in itunes

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

What type of iPod is it? Is it directly connected using the Apple cable?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ipod Touch that is like 3 years old and yes an apple cable

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Try Recovery Mode, here are the steps. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Follow the section on putting it in Recovery Mode?

Regards,
David.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry got called into work.

I tried everything on the website you gave me and no luck, still can't get my ipod to sync

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

What happened when you tried? Did the Recovery Mode screen show on the iPod or in iTunes? Is there another computer you can check the cable with?

Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I uninstalled itunes again. I did the unchecking of all start up except microsoft and it never showed up in itunes again. I don't have any other computers. I've tried a different cord and no luck. I tried different ports no luck.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

What about the images in the article, did you see any of those on the iPod or in iTunes?

Did you try it a few times? Any detail might help.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right now my ipod is in factory mode so it looks exactly how the pics do with the pic of connect to irtunes but its not even recognizing it in itunes. I know the port works because its charging the ipod. Also when the computer restarts is asks how I want to import pic from Apple Ipod

Yes I tried it multiple times

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any anti-virus, firewall or pop up blockers installed? Check Add/Remove Program's and remove them then restart.

Then test the iPod in iTunes.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I never installed them since you told me to uninstall them

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

OK, that's good, next we should check that the Mobile Device Support is installed.

From Apple: "Click Start and choose Control Panel. Click "Uninstall a program" (or if using Windows Vista's Classic View of the Control Panel, click "Programs and Features"). Verify that Apple Mobile Device Support is visible in the list of currently installed programs."

Let me know if it is there.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Not sure if you got my last reply, but if I would like you to follow steps 3 to 6 in this article:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Only carry onto the next step if the issue is still not resolved, stop when the iPod is recognized.

Then continue to Restore in Recovery Mode, setup your iPod, and Sync your music.

Please get back to me if there are any questions.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the device manager under the universal serial bus controller I can't get the apple usb to show up. I tried properties and scanning for updated.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Did you try the step to reinstall the Apple Mobile Device driver?

That's the step to take if the driver doesn't show up there.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you remind me how to do that again

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

It is step number 4 halfway through this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did that and found my cd and reinstalled it but still nothing

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

What other software did you also reinstall? Thanks in advance,

David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried to reinstall in recovery mode but it it says it failed even when I had my cd

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean that you pressed the Restore button in iTunes? What CD did you have?

Sincerely,
David.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No reinstall the driver in recovery mode

I had an Ipod cd but maybe it was the wrong one but it did reinstall but I still can't get my ipod to show up in itunes

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Have you checked step 6? Is there any chance of trying the iPod with another computer to Restore it?

David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have another computer. Should I get a new Ipod? Do you think its just old and doesn't want to work anymore?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

It could still easily be a software issue. If you try a different or new iPod with iTunes, and still it's the same, then the issue is more likely to be software. You could try a reinstall of Windows onto a new partition, but it would be best to check it on another computer that is known to be working.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I won't be able to try on another computer till this weekend. I am going to my sisters and maybe I can try it then

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

No problem, I will still be able to help with any questions.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,Hey David! I never got the chance to try my Ipod with another computer but I was thinking maybe I would try my moms Ipod on my computer and that would tell me more information. So I tried it and it synced to Itunes then I tried mine again. And yippy skippy its syncing!! I don't know why or how but it is!! And my Itunes store is still working!! I am going to turn on my firewalls and antivirus and see if that still lets my itunes work!! Thanks again! You were great and patient!! If I have problems when I turn everything on I will come back to you!! But hopefully I won't have a problem!!
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jessica,

That's excellent. Thermistor have been a corruption in think between your iPod and iTunes that syncing another iPod cleared, strange but not unheard of.

Regards,
David.