David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

RA - pr

Customer Question

My 13" MacBook Pro will not initialize when I try to open it. I have been having trouble ever since I downloaded a Skype upgrade yesterday that appeared to be legitimate. Earlier today when I started the computer it opened a number of programs (Word, iCal, Quicken, SkyCaddie, etc) and showed them all layered in the same window. Command+ Option+Escape would not allow me to force quit any of them. So the only way to exit was to shut the whole system down.
Now, when I try to start the computer all I get is the gray screen with the Apple logo and a spinning wheel. I am typing this from a PC in Florida and I have Apple Care but I am not sure when it runs out.

Can you reccomend anything?

David Hayman
129 Oakhampton Trail
Hamilton, ON, L9B 0A3
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

First shut down your Mac. Then start up and hold the Shift key until you see the spinning gear.

This is called Safe Boot, so if it works restart normally to see if it solved the issue. Please get back to me if it fails.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I tried Safe Boot, the gray screen with spinning gear changed to gray screen and a circle with a diagonal line

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Shut down, and start holding Command-V for Verbose Mode.

At some point the text will stop scrolling.

Please reply with the last two or three lines of what it says there.

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

rooting via boot-uuid from / chosen: 85EE8105-4D38-319F-B8D2-5E0642E3C010

waiting on <dict ID ='0"> <KEY><string ID="1" ="0"><key><string

ID="1">I0Resources</string><key>1)ResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Next boot to Single User Mode to use fsck.

Shut down, and hold Command-S.

When you see the text you can release the keys.

When you see a prompt type: /sbin/fsck/ -fy

When the scrolling text finishes type: reboot

When you press enter, the Mac will restart.

If this fails please get back to me.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I goofed and shut down without pressing Conmmand + S. What do I do now?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
No, it's OK. Hold Command-S when starting up. Sorry I was ambiguous in my reply, my fault.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I started and let go the keys when I saw script. The last line says Still waiting for root device. Then there is a little white block, but typing keys do not work

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Well it's not booting Single User, so the Operating System must be reinstalled.

Which type of Mac, when purchased, and what OS is running on it? Did you get discs with it or not?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

MacBook Pro now upgraded to OS Lion. I did get discs but I am not at home and therefore don't have access to them. Also, I don't have my Time Capsule to retrieve past information and I believe that reinstalling the OS will lose my information stored on my computer. Do I have any alternatives?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Lion Recovery doesn't wipe the drive to reinstall, it just replaces the OS. Start up and hold Command-R.

Then follow the Recovery Assistant. There is more information on it here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Since we haven't resolved the problem, do I still get charged the $59.00 fee? I am not able to get Lion recovery from Apple until I return to my home in a couple of weeks.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Lion Recovery doesn't need discs, you can do it now. I'm sorry for the confusion, I should have explained.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I achieve this download if I can't get my computer to start?

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

It starts to the Lion Recovery partition, and connects to the Internet. The Recovery partition should boot OK by holding Command-R at startup.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried opening with Cmd + R and all I get is the spinning gear and no connection even after 2 min. of holding the keys.

I guess I'll wait till I return home and visit the Apple store.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

There's a few things we can still try. You can reset SMC, reset PRAM, and try Command-R again.

Please don't rate my service poorly, I will continue to work with you on this.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have run out of time and have to go out but I have tried the PRAM and R-Cmd a second time with no positive results.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

I can continue with you when you are ready.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to rate this situation as Poor Service but I don't have a successful solution after a long time of communication and I can't afford any more time. Since I still have a cdomputer that won't start, I really don't think that I should pay for the service

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

You didn't have to rate at all, you could have left it. I think I gave the best possible service, and the outcome is totally out of my control. Can you reconsider?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't see any button or info that indicates that I can leave this situation open. I am willing to reconsider if I can simply close down this computer and open up the website and continue tomorrow.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you can do so. Bookmark this page, and you can get back to me. We can try the SMC.

regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Just following up. Did my answer help?

Kind regards,
David.