Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi I have a imac 21" with ox 5.5.8 Im getting a blue srceen

Hi I have a imac 21" with ox 5.5.8 I'm getting a blue srceen with a folder and ? Can anyone help
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

The folder with Question mark indicates that either your hard disk is failed or your system files are corrupted.

Do you have the Mac OS X discs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Let me check
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't find them

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I did the first solution I see a grey srceen and a apple
Those solutions might not work, but try them. If its not booting after 20 minutes, then try 2 and 3.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I reboot my self or is it suppose to reboot on its own I JUST see a grey srceen now
Turn it off yourself by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds. Since you already tried Safe Mode before, try solution 3.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope none of that worked anything else I might just have to take it to a mac sev
Those are the basic troubleshooting steps and we need the discs to troubleshoot further. The folder with question mark is not a good sign. It means that your Mac is unable to recognize your hard drive. This usually happens if your hard drive is failed or failing and you will have to replace the hard drive

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but we've already tried everything so far. If you are not satisfied, please don't rate my answer Bad or Poor Service.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks you did good do you know how much a hard drive cost thanks for your help
Hard disks are cheaper, the cost depends upon the capacity of the drive. The price range starts from $30-$200
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I JUST rebooted I see a apple now and a wheel is just spinning is that good should i try something else
It seems like your Mac is trying to read from the HD. Let it boot. If it still not booting after 1 hour, then it must be a hardware problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks
You're most welcome :)