Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience:  10 Years hands on computer training
64443469

I have no audio after the initial Apple "boot" sound...Ive

I have no audio after the initial Apple "boot" sound...I've tried reinstalling the OS, repairing disk permissions and I have a new hard drive.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

When you installed the operating system did you install an older version then what was initial on your macbook?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually, a newer version was installed. I bought a first gen Airbook and have just had my hard drive replaced and the techs installed a newer OS.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Check your Sound System Preferences pane

1. Remove any external audio devices and cables from the USB, FireWire, or 3.5 mm audio ports.
2. Open System Preferences from the Apple menu, the Dock, or from the Applications folder on your hard drive.
3. Open the Sound pane and the Output tab, then select Internal Speakers as in this image:
graphic

• If Internal Speakers is not an option proceed to step 4. For Mac Pro computers, proceed to step 5.
  • If Internal Speakers is present but not selected, select it and test again.
  • If the Output volume slider is low or the Mute box is selected, raise the volume slider or deselect the Mute box and test again.
  • If the issue continues through these steps and Internal Speakers remains the selected option proceed to step 5.

4. If the Internal Speakers option does not appear in the Output tab and your computer is not a Mac Pro, check that Digital Out is present as in the image below.

graphic

• Confirm again that all external audio devices and cables have been removed.
  • Check to see if a red light is lit in the line-out port. If so, your Apple computer may need service.
  • If you do not see a red light, proceed to step 5.

5. If the issues persist, contact Apple support for further troubleshooting assistance.

Please don't forget to rate me answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and answer.

Have a nice Labor Day Weekend.

Thank You, Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel, I've already found that troubleshooting process through a google search - it was not helpful. I do not have "Digital Out" present in my Output window. I only have "Headphones" in my devices for sound output.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Open up System Preferences and click on:
Sound ~> Output.
Look at the "Choose a device for sound output" window as you plug your headphone speaker jack in. Does the Sound Output listing change from 'Internal Speakers' to 'Headphones'?

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have Internal Speakers as a option in the Sound Output menu. Only headphones.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What is the make and model of your mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a first generation MacBook Air

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I have a quick question does the start up sound come on when you turn the mac on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah - i get the startup sound, but then no sounds after that...

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Well since we have done all troubleshooting that I can possible think of. The next thing that I recommend doing is replace the audio cable.

You would have to do some repair work, which involves removing the battery which is about nine screws and removing the audio board which I believe is two screws.

For a temporary fix you could pull the cable away and try to straighten the cable out and relax the bends in the folds. Do this and then turn your computer back off and see if the audio comes back. If it does not come back then you will want to replace the cable.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and the answer I provided you with.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Thank You, Dan
Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience: 10 Years hands on computer training