Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi, I have a different problem with my iMac - once I have logged

Hi, I have a different problem with my iMac - once I have logged in using the keyboard I am then no longer to use most of the keys on the keyboard - I am only aware of F3, F4 & F6 working as expected so I cannot type any words. I was aware of a slight problem yesterday when we were sorting the display. Occasionally the screen locked yesterday but I was not able to type in all of the password XXXXX on restarting I can type in the log in password. Today it has worsened and once I have logged in I cannot type at all.
Hi there, Did you tried a different keyboard ? Do you have this problem in Safe Mode ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I only have the one keyboard - given it works OK as I log in makes me think there is an odd setting been applied. I haven't tried safe mode so I can give this a go. Anything I should do once in safe mode?

Gotot System Preferences and open Universal Access. Click on Mouse tab, in there is the Mouse Keys option turned on ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That must be the problem. When you turn on Mouse Keys, you will be able to control your Mouse with keyboard and the keys that to control mouse will not work. Turn it off from there.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks - that works. What does turning it on provide? I have had an enthusiastic visitor who I have discovered has been experimenting with the settings which looks like the main source of my issues. I may find other odd things so is there any guidance as how to set system preferences (hopefully its just the universal access that has been altered and now changed back)?

The Mouse Keys feature of Mac OS X lets you to control the mouse pointer using the keys of your keyboard.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks - and is there any guidance available on best settings for system preferences? (I've learnt more about my mac over the last day that I have since I bought it 4 years ago). Thanks again for your help - let me know about any guidance and then I'll rate your excellent service.

The best settings are the default settings. The Universal Access contains many features that most users don't notice. Just play with the settings there. See here :