Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.

What is needed to transfer music files from my iMac to my iPad?

Customer Question

What is needed to transfer music files from my iMac to my iPad? I've tried so many apps that I can,t even remember which ones, but the basic response is that I can transfer practically any file, except music. Yet, music is what I need.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome to Just Answers! I am excited to get started with you.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
What kind of files are you trying to transfer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Music files. These are all copies don non-copyrighted cd's
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Are they currently in itunes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I remember going to iTunes, but finding nothing but invitations to buy music. As I indicated, I have the music I want on my iMac and want to be able to play it in my iPad. Copying the files from one to the other without losing them on the source woul be the preferred solution.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
The only way to get songs to your iPad is through itunes.
1. Locate all your music
2. Open iTunes
3. Drag and drop songs into iTunes
4. Allow songs to copy
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
5. Once it is done copying
6. Connect your iPad
7. You should see it in the left side bar
8. Click on your iPad and choose the music tab (Located on the top menu bar)
9. Choose the music you would like to sync
10. Press sync
Your all done!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On my iMac in iTunes, I now have the music selection both in the 'music' tab under library, as well as under 'devices/ music' where my iPad is shown in tile left side bar. I highlighted the songs I wish to sync first in the iPad section, Then alternatively in the iMac library, but search as I might I cannot find a 'sync' button to press, neither on the iMac nor on the iPad screen in iTunes. Am I going iblind?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
It is located in the bottom right corner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please be patient: bottom right corner of what screen? In iTunes on iMac there is nothing in the bottom right corner. In iTunes on iPad, there is 'Downloads' and of I go therej i find the legal terms from the world over, showing that we are all more or less in sync already. But no music sync.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
I apologize if I was not clear. In itunes
1. Click on the device tab (located in the left side bar)
2. You should see a picture of your ipad
3. If you do not see a picture of your ipad, Click on the SUMMARY tap in the upper menu bar
4. You will see a sync button at the bottom right corner of the summary page in itunes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great! Thanks! Now I have on the iMac all the tunes under music in Devices, my iPad. However, now comes the next question: where on my iPad (in iTunes?), do I find my music to play? Downloads still gives me nothing but legal terms, Music gives me endless options to buy.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
You should see a "Music" Icon. It has a fire orange color
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Embarassed oh where? I assume I look on the iPad in iTunes. I have a music icon on low bottom left. It is black to begin with and turns blue when I tap it. It takes me into the store. I scroll. There are no orange buttons.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Ok, lets try a spotlight search. Keep swiping your finger to the right until a search field pops up. Type in Music. you should see a orange application. Click on it
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 9 years of exp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got it! The most beautiful sound I ever heard . . . Thanks. But it is not in i-Tunes at all, is it? Anyway: it is accessible.