Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My Enter key (bottom right) does nothing both on the new aluminium

My Enter key (bottom right) does nothing both on the new aluminium keyboard and my old USB Mac Pro keyboard from about 2004. This is on a 2011 iMac bought in July, running Lion. I need that key for Quark XPress where it forces a page-break.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to Just Answers! I am excited to get started with you.

Appleologist :

I understand you are having issues with your enter key correct?

Customer:

Like I said!

Appleologist :

Does your enter key work in other applications other than Quark XPress?

Customer:

I don't use it in other apps - Return usually does. Can you think of an app where Enter has a different function from Return, other than Quark, that I can try?

Appleologist :

Did you try holding down the Fn key while pressing enter?

Customer:

I've tried all modifiers - shift, ctrl, opt cmd - and the fn key on the aluminium keyboard, which doesn't exist on the old Pro keyboard.

Customer:

Customer:

But I don't want to remap keys - I just want Enter to do what it should!

Appleologist :

Ok, Lets try to restore your keyboard settings

Customer:

Right

Appleologist :

1. Can you click on the apple logo in the upper right corner

2. Click on System Preferences

3. Chose "Keyboard" under the Hardware section

4. In the" keyboard tab" Make sure the "Use all F1, F2 etc" Box is UNCHECKED

5. Click on "Keyboard shortcuts" and select restore defaults

Customer:

Okay - step 4 doesn't exist here (no "Use alll..." option). I restored defaults in shortcuts

.

Appleologist :

It was the first box in the "Keyboard" tab which is next to the "Keyboard short cut" tab

Appleologist :

Are you there?

Customer:

My Keyboard tab has just Key Repeat and Delay until Repeat sliders, Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar (tick-box, it's ticked); Input Sources button; Modiier keys button (for Caps Lock, Ctrl, Option, Command). Then Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard. That's the lot. (Lion 10.7.4.)

Customer:

Customer:

Yes! I'm here.

Appleologist :

Ok. Can you launch your Quark application?

Customer:

It's already running.

Appleologist :

Do you have the keyboard with the numeric keypad?

Customer:

Yes, the USB Pro one.

Appleologist :

Does the issue occur when you press the enter on the keypad(all the way the the right) or the enter button above the shift key? Or both?

Customer:

Only the Enter key far right, bottom corner. It does nothing at all. The Return key above the

right Shift acts as a normal CR/LF.

Appleologist :

Ok that makes sense. It actually is not suppose to do anything in Quark XPress. It will only recognize return/enter functions for both mac and PC. The extra enter key makes it easier for the user to use, but it is not the primary enter function. I hope that makes sense ;)

Appleologist :

If you want to use that enter key, you will need to hold down the FN key first

Customer:

I think you're wrong here! Quark documentation - from v.4 to v.9 - explicitly says that the Enter key has a special function (which I've used for more than 12 years). It produces the page-break for which the code (used in Find and Replace, for example) is "\c". I Googled this the other day to be sure, but didn't keep a bookmark.

Appleologist :

Yes, the enter key.. not the numeric enter key

Customer:

And no fn key on the Pro keyboared anyway

Appleologist :

I actually pulled up the site. The fn key is all the way to the left beneath the shift key

Appleologist :

im sorry your right it is in the center between the keypad and the keyboard

Appleologist :

above the arrows

Customer:

On the USB Pro keyboard, I have Control under the left Shift. Another under the right Shift too. But no sign of fn.

Appleologist :

My apologies, it is right next to the delete button

Appleologist :

it is above the select key

Customer:

I'm using this keyboard and I don't see it. Look, I'm going to find the Quark documentation and send you the URL. Give me a few minutes please.

Appleologist :

Sure

Customer:

Look at

Customer:

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=quark+xpress+keyboard+shortcuts+mac&oq=quark+xpress+keyboard+ shortcuts+mac&gs_l=hp.3..0i13j0i8i13i30l2.4328.16450.0.16681.35.35.0.0.0.0.156.2541.34j1.35.0...0.0...1c.U6qsHfMwIns&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=dcd2c2167795a079&biw=1260&bih=910

Customer:

Page 17, Special Characters, 6th one down - new column

Customer:

Need a five-minute break is you don't mind!

Appleologist :

ok thanks

Customer:

I'm back

Appleologist :

ok, Im looking through your link.

Appleologist :

So when you try to create a new column, the enter key does not work?

Customer:

That's what i've been saying!!!

Appleologist :

my apologies, you mentioned forcing a page break not a column. I know adding shift to the enter key will force the page break. I understand you do not want to add a key to the enter function. You chose Mac support as your problem which is why it was routed to me, but I think your computer is fine. If you wish, I can set you up with an expert that deals with Software programs related issues

Appleologist :

Are you still here?

Customer:

Page break, column, usually the same thing for me as I typeset books. A page is a single column. But Shift-Enter does not do anything at all here. Shift-Return does: a soft rteturn, which I use a fair bit. Shift-Enter is supposed to start a new box but again does nothing because the Enter does nothing. I think the computer is fine too but there's an issue with something buried in the OS: three keyboards are unlikely to be faulty. Actually I know that two of them aren't because the Enter key behaves as expected in Quark on my OS 9 and Leopard machines, with different versions of Quark. -- I'll take it up with Apple since I'm within the 90 days support period.

Appleologist :

Do you know what version of Quark you are running now?

Customer:

9.3.1, the latest

Appleologist :

Ok, you are all caught up so thats not the issue. Has it ever worked by the way?

Customer:

I think so, when I just tried out the new Quark on the new machine with the new OS - bought in late July. But I can't be sure. Really only discovered the problem when I came to use the program for real.

Appleologist :

There is a linking tool in the tool palette to link the 2 text boxes. Can you try that?

Customer:

I just fired up my G4 and Quark 7.5: all working as I expect there.

Appleologist :

Ok, can you create a test account on your new computer. This will help rule out glitches in your user account

Customer:

Pages are linked on my test document as they should be - no change. Okay I'll make a test account.

Appleologist :

Ok, I will stand by

Customer:

Done, so I could log in as new account - but where does that leave this chat?

Appleologist :

I wil hang on, you can switch to that account, test it and let me know what happened

Customer:

Right. Here we go.

Appleologist :

Ha ha

Customer:

Hang on, when I log off doesn't this browser get closed? So how do I get back to you?

Appleologist :

Dont log off, just switch users. In the accounts tab, you can enable fast user switching. The account name will appear in the upper right corner. You can click on that to switch back and forth.

1. In the accounts page, click on login options

2. Check "Show fast user switching menu"

Customer:

Been there and back... no difference at all, I'm afraid. I'm really puzzled. I'll have to discuss with other QXP users I know to see if they have the same problem.

Appleologist :

Sounds like a plan. Make sure you ask if they are running Lion. I know they started out with issues when lion was released, but there 9.3.1 release was suppose to fix those issues. Have a fantastic Labor day weekend ;)

Customer:

You too! Thanks for your efforts. I got to learn how to use Fast User Switching, anyway! - Peter

Appleologist :

Ha ha. Anytime