Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

Ipad failure and requested to be reconnected to the computer,

Customer Question

Ipad failure and requested to be reconnected to the computer, restored to original settings but will not activate, it is stuck in a loop where it tries to reactivate but wont do so.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.
Hi

What do you see on the iPad screen?

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see a large iPad with the swipe to "Configure"

If I do try to configure I choose "English"

Then "Australia"

Then my network preference

Then it say "It may take up to three minutes to configure your iPad"

Then the apple logo

Then that repeats and it goes back to the original screen

Have you tried configuring it through the computer itself?

Open iTunes in the computer and connect the iPad. Your iPad name would now be listed to the left of iTunes, below "devices"

When you click on it, to the middle of the screen, what options you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was connected to the computer this whole time and is still connected.

Your iPad name would be listed to the left side of the iTunes, below "devices".

When you click on the iPad name, to the middle of the screen; do you have an option "set up the iPad"?
Carol, you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just giving the kids dinner.

The ipad was showing in iTunes but is connected now and NOT showing on the left hand side in iTunes anymore

Oh ok. I thought you signed off. No worries, take your time.

Then try the following step

Let's reset the ipad first.

Press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

Let's see whether your ipad is now listed to the left side of itunes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the apple logo is there but it is not on iTunes

Let's disconnect the ipad and reconnect it.

Also, try different USB ports.

Let's see whether your ipad is now recognized in itunes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

I quit iTunes

I reconnected through a different USB port

I have the iPad "reconfigure " page

The device shows on the left side in iTunes but I get the waiting colour wheel when I try to click on the iPad in devices

Then the iPad disappears from iTunes

Then I get the apple logo on the iPad

And we start all over again!

Then I am afraid it could be a software issue on the ipad.

Let's try a restore again and see whether it makes any improvement. We will force the ipad into recovery mode and try a restore.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Now, on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

Your computer should now give a message that it has detected an ipad in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

Try the restore now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

None of this has worked, if the device shows up, it is empty and when you try to click on it, you get the whirling colour wheel.

Why has this suddenly happened? It was fine for the past two and a half years!

I understand...:( Some software issue has turned up on the ipad.

Do you have a different computer to try with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, no other computer available.

Is the computer now a problem?

I have 3 other iPads associated with it

Computer is not the problem...Sometimes if the computer locks up or if the USB drives need to be updated, then the ipad may not show up.

Let's restart the computer with the ipad connected. Let's see whether this helps in recognizing the ipad.

Also, do you have a different USB cable? A faulty USB cable can also cause recognition problems.

Please bookmark this website so that you can get back to me after the restart. Or save this link

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/739z4-ipad-failure-requested-reconnected-computer.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, that hasnt helped.

The device briefly showed up with the coloured wheel and then abruptly disappeared.

The apple is showing on the ipad

But nothing has changed

Is the iPad software failure terminal?

is the ipad still displaying the apple?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then it goes back to the iPad screen with the swipe to configure

Then it is not going into recovery mode. In recovery mode, your ipad screen will display an itunes logo and USB chord.

let's try this again

on the ipad, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo (the ipad will go off and come back on with an apple). The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, that has now happened.

What next?

has your computer given the message that it has detected an ipad in recovery mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really,

the computer says there is an iPad but it says software n/a capacity n/a serial number n/a

and the only option is restore

the ipad is showing the USB and itunes page

let's click on restore and let's see whether luck favor us this time
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, did that and we are just back to where we were

When i get to the page which says connect to iTunes if wi fi not available I got the USB and iTunes page, that then disappeared and the apple logo is on the iPad

And the iPad isn't in the devices on iTunes!!

Back to square One

:(

So your itunes did not give you the message "itunes has detected an ipad in recovery mode", correct?

May be your itunes need an update. Let's click on Help menu at the top of itunes (where it shows file, edit, view, controls etc), click on Help > check for updates.

Let me know if any update is available.

Also, do you have an apple store nearby?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No iPad in recovery mode

The software is up to date

The local Apple store told me it was a simple fix when plugging in to iTunes

But something is seriously wrong

Thanks for your help!!!!

How do I give you the smileys?

It could be a communication problem with the computer or some other issue.

It would be better if the apple store people can restore it for you.

You can give the smileys now...
I think you have already given the smileys. No need to do it again.