Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience:  10 Years hands on computer training
64443469

I have MacBook Pro laptop and i have problem login in i forgot

Customer Question

I have MacBook Pro laptop and i have problem login in i forgot my
Admi password XXXXX tried to reset it using my apple id but it didn' work either
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is Dan and I will be assisting you today.

What OS X is on your macbook?

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont really know that i am locked i cannt log in :-(
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Well lets try this.

1. Start up from a Mac OS X Install disc (one whose version is closest to the version of Mac OS X installed). Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key. Or, put it in the computer and click the Install or Restore icon you see in the disc's main window (after which the computer will start from the disc without you needing to hold C). Or, you can use Startup Manager or the Startup Disk preference pane to select the Install disc.

2. Choose a language, click the arrow button to continue,

3. Mac OS X v10.6 or later: Choose Password Reset from the Utilities menu.
Mac OS X v10.5 or v10.4: Choose Reset Password from the Utilities menu.
Mac OS X v10.3: Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu.

Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the disc yet.

Note: The default keyboard layout is U.S. English while started from the installation disc. If you use a keyboard layout other than U.S English, use the Input menu (the flag icon on the right side of the menu bar) to select the desired layout before typing a new password.

4. Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
5. Select the user name of your original administrator account.

Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually the root user. You should not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

6. Enter a new password.
7. Click Save.
8. Click the red button in the upper left corner to quit the application.
9. Choose Quit Mac OS X Installer... from the Mac OS X Installer menu.
10. Click Restart.

Do this and let me know if you are able to get in. If you were please dont forget to rate my answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that receive credit for my time and answer.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have a disc for it
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Since you do not know what OS X you have I am giving you both of these.

Reset 10.5 Leopard & 10.6 Snow Leopard password

1. Power on or restart your Mac.
  2. At the chime (or gray screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
  3. This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.
  4. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
  5. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Enter.
  6. Type ls /Users and press Enter. This lists all of the usernames on the computer – helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
  7. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password of your choice. Press Enter.
  8. Type reboot and press Enter.

Reset 10.4 Tiger password

1. Power on or restart your Mac.
  2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
  3. Type sh /etc/rc and press Enter/Return.
  4. Type passwd username and replace “username” with the short name of the user account for which you’d like to reset the password.
  5. Type your desired password and press Enter. It won’t show itself on the screen, so be careful what you type. You will most likely have to enter it again to confirm.
  6. Type reboot and press Enter.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank You, Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do u mean by chime and command +s .. I have command button is that what are saying?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No, you will hear a chime or if the chime is off you will see a gray screen this is when you will hold down the command button + S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All what i see now the grey screen where i have my user name and password and the bottom i have 3 symbols for sleep, restart and shut down
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you hold down command + S?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes makes sound
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Does a place for you to type come up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes for password to enter
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Alright try this Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed in mount -uw and pressed enter
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Alright what comes up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This msg if u forget your password you can reset using your apple id
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Alright you need to restart your mac and when you see the first gray screen you need to hold down Command+S on your keyboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now ic a black screen and ic the words u wanted me to type in there
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Alright good. So you see mount -uw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Alright push enter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and root# came up
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Enter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says launchctI command not found
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Did you type launchct "L" or "i" you need to type it with an "L"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok root came now
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Type ls /Users and press Enter

Then Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password of your choice. Press Enter.

Type reboot and press Enter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I types in dacl with an l not i then space . - my new password/Users/one of the names appeared but operation faild with error eServerError
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Did you type the whole Password. I need you to type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password. I needs to be excatly how it is written.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a space in between any of those slashes
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Here is how it written dscl(space) .(space) -passwd(space)/Users(nospace)/username(space) password

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed exactly what u typed in eserver error again
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You did type the words that are in Parentheses, I am just making sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No man just what u told me followed ur space instructions
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Well if this is not working, then you are going to have to get an installation cd, this is the only other way to reset the Admin password.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a little confused on why you have given me a negative rating. If you were not happy with the answer that I have provided all you need to do was respond to me. A negative rating affects my job a great amount.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you to get you to change the negative ratings.

If there is nothing that I can do for you, then will you please change the rating and I will send you to customer service for a refund.

Let me know,

Thank You, Dan

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand why you keep giving me negative ratings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I qill change your rating but you to help getting my money back
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is fine as soon as you change the ratings, I will send you to customer service for a refund and customer service will give you a full refund.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else that I can do for you then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks just help me in getting my money back and thank uou Daniel
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Alright then all we need to do here is I will send you another answer and you rate with one of the top three ratings, as soon as I get a message that you have changed the rating, I will send you for a refund.

Sound good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So didnt hear from you?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I was waiting to hear back if that is what you wanted to do. I dont want to receive another negative ratings.