Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience:  10 Years hands on computer training
64443469

I have a 2010 MacBookPro 13". I recently formatted my hard

I have a 2010 MacBookPro 13". I recently formatted my hard disk, and re-installed the snow leopard OS which came with my MBP. After installing, I started facing issues with the wifi. I then updated the OS to Mountain Lion, and the wifi issue continues. By the way, I didn't upgrade because of the the wifi issue, it was a long pending one! Today, i stumbled this page of yours, and tried downgrading the Airport to 3.2 and restarted the system. But still, the problem persists. Request your help in sorting out this issue
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for choosing Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Try this and let me know.

1. Quit out of all applications and save any work
2. Delete your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder (you will lose all of your network settings data!)
3. Shutdown the machine completely
4. When off, hold Shift-Control-Option-Power for 8 seconds, then release
5. If this worked correctly, then nothing should happen (you’ve just cleared the SMC)
6. Start the mac back up and see if you can connect to the wifi.

If this worked, please don't forget to rate my answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and answer.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

I followed the instructions that you gave and the AirPort seems to be recognising the network now. However, the macbook has become considerably slow now!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
This reset your network settings. Try this and see how the internet runs.

Go to system preferences -> network -> Ethernet -> advanced -> Ethernet .. and changed the "automatic" setting to the following:

Configure: Manually
Speed: 100baseTx
Duplex: full duplex
MTU: Standard (1500)

If this fixed the issue please don't forget to rate the answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and answer.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

The settings that you asked me to tweet are the ethernet settings. I did it, however, no change in the speed. I tried both Safari 6.0 and Chrome. The internet speed is fine on other systems on the same network. Hence, any issue with the internet connectivity can be ruled out.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
I know but you reset the network setting on your macbook so I was not trying to say it was your internet connection.

Try this and let me know.

Delete all the DNS entries except the wireless routers DNS. Then apply the changes and see if that does anything for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There were no DNS entries except the wireless routers DNS. I had put my macbook on sleep for 5 mins. When i woke it up, the wifi is not found and hence, not connected! AirPort can see other networks in my area, but cannot see the home network.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
If you connect with the Ethernet Cable can you connect to the internet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, if i connect to the ethernet cable, I am able to connect to the internet.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
I know that you said that the rest of the devices are connecting to your network but try this and let me know.

Reset your router, if there is no reset button then turn off wifi on every device in your house, unplug the router, leave it unplugged for 15 minutes, plug your router back in and wait 5 minutes.

Then connect your devices via wifi starting with your MacBook connecting first.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The wifi does work now, but the internet connectivity is very slow. I have a feeling after a couple of days, the wifi may stop working once again!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Here are some more steps that you can try:

1. Create a new Location, delete the old ones
2. Change Channels on your router

Does this and see how the internet speed is after you do these steps.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I have restarted the macbook at least 5-6 times, and I have no problem connecting the internet. However, internet speed is an issue.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Did you try the suggestions I mention in my last post??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

Yes, I did try the steps you mentioned. Sorry, missed out on mentioning it in my previous comment. However, the internet speed is still pretty bad.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Alright have something else for you to try here.

Go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced and delete all remembered networks. Then Set up your network from scratch again.

graphic

Do this and see how the internet is doing

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried it. Still no improvement in the speed!

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
What other devices to you have running off the wifi?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have two other laptops running on Windows 7, which are on the same wifi.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Alright can you disconnect both those computers and then unplug the modem and the router from the power leave unplugged for about 1 minute and then only connect your macbook to the network and see how the internet speed is when you do this.

Let me know.

Thank You, Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The internet speed has increased, but marginally..

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Well I am going to say that you need to update your wireless card in your mac or you need to replace your router. You said that you had Airport router you may also need to upgrade that as well.

Please take a moment to rate the answer with one of the top three ratings, as this is the only way that I receive credit for my time and the answer that I provided you.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Thank You, Dan
Daniel, Mac Specialist
Experience: 10 Years hands on computer training