David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

Hi, Yesterday I update my OS to Mountain Lion, the process

Customer Question

Hi, Yesterday I update my OS to Mountain Lion, the process was pretty fast and easy, but now, my external disk don´t want to stay mounted and every time I mount it, it unmounted by itself after 15 or 20 second. It is happening also with other external hard drive and my memory card reader as well, any thoughts about it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

Try reseting the PRAM, by holding the P+R+Option+Command keys together while restarting. Hold them for 1 full restart, then let the computer start up like normal.

.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

Hi Jesse, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not work, the hard drive still unmounting by it own. After do what you want me to do, the computer restarted and while was restarting the computer read the disc and show the disc as mounted, and then suddenly unmount the disk again.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

Jesse?, are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

I think you should know, the disk utility can see the disk, If I want I can force mount the disk from this utility but the disk will unmount after 15 to 20 second

Jesse :

Sorry for the delay.

Jesse :

Open Disk Utility again, and run the Repair Disk option on the external hard drive.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

but, this disk has my time machine information, and was pretty good before updating, and I tried with other external disk and the same behavior happened. Are you sure should I repair my disk one, disk two and my card reader?, all this devices has the same behavior.

Jesse :

Okay, lets do the following first then:

Jesse :

1. Open System Preferences (located under the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen).
2. Select the Energy Saver pane.
3. Make sure the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option is unchecked.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

ok, I did it, wait for mounting but nothing happened, I got to disk utility, I mounted and 20 second after unmount by itself. Is important to know that the disk unmount itsefl even when I´m using it,

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

would you like to have access to my machine though team viewer?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

my machine is in set in spanish

Jesse :

Okay, it may not seem important, but lets run the Repair Disk in Disk Utility for the external drive.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

But I must perform this action to my all three devices, right?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

repair disk will erase or change the information inside my disk?

Jesse :

Repair disk won't have any effect on the data on your drive. It only repairs an issues it finds, it doesn't touch the information.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

will it take long time? one of my disk is 1.5T

Jesse :

No, shouldn't take more than a few minutes

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

well, it has been 5 minutes from I started

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

A image of my computer http://goo.gl/PLnNR

Jesse :

Okay, let me know if it finishes without disconnecting.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

well, the disk never disconnected from the disk utility, at least it always shows

Jesse :

Okay, You won't be able to repair the USB card reader, as its not a drive, but is the drive staying connected now?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

the usb card reader has the same behavior,

Jesse :

But the hard drives don't?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

the utility disk can see the hard drives, i can mount the hard drive from the utility disk, but 20 second after the drives unmount by themself

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

the same for the usb card reader

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

the disk still "repairing"

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

should I stop the "repairing"?

Jesse :

Not necessarily, what step is it on?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

"verifying system files", the first step

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

I can grant you access to my machine via team viewer if you want, I think would be the easiest way, what do you think?

Jesse :

Okay, let's give it a try.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

ok, you must install teamviewer, perhaps you know this.

the access code is XXXXXXXXX the password XXXXX XXXXX

Jesse :

You'll need to type the access code with a space between each number or letter

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

please let me know when you are in, I´m from another computer

Jesse :

Once you retype the code for me, i should be able to get in.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- : NNN-NN-NNNNand the password XXXXX XXXXX
JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

the data on the hard drives is the work of my entire life, :-)

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

i don´t have any backup more than this

Jesse :

Okay, I'm remoted in.

Jesse :

Do you mind changing the language to English, or do you mind if I do?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

no I don´t mind, you can do it

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

or want me to do it for you?

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

did you went out?

Jesse :

It's fine, from looking at things the most I can do is run the Disk Utility as well. Everything else is up to date, and looks fine.

Jesse :

I'm going to Opt Out so another expert can assist.

JACUSTOMER-zhr60r8d- :

ok, thanks Jesse

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Try Safe Boot, that will show if the problem is a Kext or startup item.

Start the Mac and hold the Shift key until you see the spinning gear.

Now connect the hard drive and see if it stays connected. Make sure this is directly connected, no hub, and no other USB device.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, thanks for your help.

In safe boot, my hard drives mount and keep mounted, all stay connected

What´s next? :-)

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Restart normally, do they stay connected now? Safe Boot also repairs issues, so you might have already fixed this.

Regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
I need to sign off for a few hours sells, nut all be back on in the morning. Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I am back online for the day again, did restart normally resolve it?

Kindest regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David. I did what you suggets, bott in safe mode, but the same.

During your time off, I reinstalled the OS. The genius bar told me to do this, but the same....,

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I just need clarification of a couple of things.

It did work OK once in Safe Boot, but doesn't work in Safe boot any more?

Are you directly connecting them?

Did the Genius bar reset SMC?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did work OK once in safe mode just for 60 seconds. Then I restarted and the same problem.

I´m trying connecting them via utility disc, but once the disc is mounted, 15 second after unmounted itselft.

I f you want, I can grant you direct access to my computer via team viewer

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
No, that's OK.

Can you try Safe Boot again, hold Shift at startup, and test for three minutes.

Please get back to me with the result, and thanks for your patience.

David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience too.

I hold Shift key at startup and the computer after two minutes unmounted the drives.

Then...

I restarted the computer in normal mode, and the drives keep connected one minute.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Can the drives, or have they been tested with another computer?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the drives work perfect.

Just to be clear, I have two disc and one card reader, none of then work after I installed (update) to mountain lion days ago. The disc and the card reader work perfect in other computer.

When the computer is in the process of restarting, and then I can see the desktop, I can see the disc mounted but once the process of restarting is almost over then de mac sudden unmount the disc and the card reader.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Open System Preferences, Users & Groups, and click the Login Items tab.

Delete every item, and restart, and test the drives.

If the same, create a new account called test and restart and login to test.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I´m trying "Preference Error - Could not load Users and Group preference panel"

It did not work neither in safe mode or normal mode restarting

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Check if you can open Software Update in the Apple menu, and install everything it finds, and restart and try the Users & Groups preference pane.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no updates availables

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

User & Groups Preferences cannot be opened which means a recovery of the OS is needed.

Shut down, disconnect peripherals, start up holding command-R.

Proceed through the recovery steps, and when it is complete try Users & Groups.

Thanks for your continued patience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don´t worry David, I´ll do whatever you want me to do.

Late yesterday night I did this that you are suggesting me. I will take so long, where I´m takes around 8 hours (downloading).

Do you want me to send the console log?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No, that's OK about the console log, I know this needs to be done again. However it shouldn't take as long this time as it was downloaded yesterday.

Kind regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Has the recovery been successful or do we need to try more steps?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, i did not work, but I solve my problem uninstalling my antivirus

Thanks!!!, tell me how I pay your time?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great! Please rate my slice with a smiley and I will be paid for my Tom.

Have a great week ahead!

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified