Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I went from 35 gigs of free memory to 1.2 mb in two days. I

I went from 35 gigs of free memory to 1.2 mb in two days. I haven't downloaded anything or added anything to the imac. What could be wrong and how do I fix it?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Go here and download this application :

That app will tell where all the disk space has gone. Let me know...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Let me know what uses the disk space...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont know. How do I tell?

Go here and download this application anmed Disk Inventory X :

Open it up and that app will tell where all the disk space has gone
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need to delete files before I can install

Can you delete some unwanted movies or other applications from your Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I am installing it now and it is loading folder content

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry its taking awhile

No Worries..Take your time
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay all done. Now what? it says folder with 54.1 gd with three folders

Those folders must be taking spaces. Open location of those folder and check what is inside those folders.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It also says 88.3 for users. How do I know what to open and what is safe to delete?

All files/folders except from Applications folder and Library and System folders are safe to delete.

I'd recommend to do a disk-scan with this application :

That is same app like Disk Inventory, but It is more simple than Disk Inventory. Let me know the results...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok it says 56.8 gb on iphoto library which is weird because if I try to open iphoto it says your photo library is damaged or unreadable and cannot be opened please restore from back up. But if I try to restore from backup it says not enough memory

Do you have a backup of your iPhoto Library ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great ! Delete the corrupted iPhoto Library from your Mac. Then empty the trash. Then restore your iPhoto Library from the backup.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

won't it still continue to take up the same amount of space?

Is your iPhoto Library that big ? If not, then No. This probably happened because the file was corrupted. Delete the iPhoto Library and then restore the backup Library.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I restore the backup?

You said you have a backup. How did you backed up it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok I wil hook up the backup disk it should be fine thanks

Great :)