John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

On the Mail Merge Manager in Word - I get the message "this

On the Mail Merge Manager in Word - I get the message "this file needs to be opened by the excel Workbook text converter which may pose a security risk. I click OK and get the message "The converter necessary to open this file cannot be found". How do I find the converter? I have Microsoft 2008, version 12.3.3, Lion. All updates are complete.

If the Excel file has the extension ".xlsx" try closing the file and quitting Office application then go to that Excel file and change the file name's extension to ".xls"

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John,

I followed your instructions and now from Word I get: 'Word was unable to open the data source.' Thoughts on what to try next?

Also, what is the difference between xlsx and xls?

Thanks,

Sally

Sally if you can send me the file I will change it for you

xlsx files are the new format of Excel files which are generated by Excel 2007 and Excel 2010

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, that would be OK, but I need to know how to do it myself. I closed Office to change it. I will try it another way.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, all good. I just changed it the usual way and it worked great. I have my mail merge working fine now. Thanks for your help, John,

Sally

You're welcome Sally. Glad to help

Thank you for rating this answer "Excellent" or "Good" if I was able to answer your question