Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

My iPhone stopped working suddenly. It was 99% charged when

Customer Question

My iPhone stopped working suddenly. It was 99% charged when this happened. I've tried three ways of "pluuging" it in (it was plugged into my car when it stopped) - car, laptop, outlet, and also used more than one outlet charger and more than one charger cord (had two and borrowed one from a co-worker). I've also tried re-setting using the sleep and home button simultaneously - nothing is working.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

How long did you hold down the buttons together?

Connect the iphone to the compter. Wait for 5 minutes. Press and hold the power button and home button together for 10-30 sec.

Let's see whether it turns on.

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Already tried that - no success - held for 30 seconds.

Have you already tried connecting the iPhone to the computer, wait 5-10 minutes and then try the reset?

Also, have you tried with different cables?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes to both of your questions - I believe I covered the cables question in my first communication - I even tried it again - nothing.

:(

Let's try this too.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the iphone. Now, on the iphone, press and hold the power button and the home button together for 7-8 seconds. Exactly at 7-8 sec, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

Let's see whether your computer gives any message that it has detected an iphone in recovery mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's a problem - iTunes is blocked at the office :( - I will have to leave to do that - how do I get back to this page to respond after I've tried this? I'll have to shut down my computer.

another question - I am not at home - I don't sync my iPhone to this computer as it is my work computer. I have a MAC at home, but again, all of the syncing other than music and pictrues is cloud-based now - and I've not synced pics or music in a while. Will there be an issue connecting to iTunes from this computer.

I'm driving home later today (300 miles) and driving without GPS and a phone do not make me happy.

You can bookmark this website and get back to me. Or just save this link

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/722k5-iphone-stopped-working-suddenly-99-charged-when.html

If you sync the iphone with the work computer, all the music, and apps will be deleted as they are not in this computer. But not the contacts, calendars etc as they are in the cloud.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, this isn't going to work - I can't leave right now, and then I have to drive home, so this is not going to be resolved - I think I'm just going to have to wait until I get home, and then I might as well visit the Apple store locally to get this all done - they don't charge for their service, the last time I checked -

The chances of your computer recognizing the iphone is less, since your iphone is not even turning on. But that is worth a try.

If that too does not work and If your iphone is under warranty (within the first 1 year of purchase), you will get a free replacement from the apple store, provided there is no water/physical damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The "sound" it makes when I attach it is not the same as the usual sound - I only use this computer to charge the iPhone, so I'm very hesitant to mess with the iTunes idea, and since iTunes is blocked here, will do something when I get home tonight.

I understand. It is better to connect your phone to your home computer and try the reset and the restore.

Take your own time and let me know what happens.