Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi. I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a macbook pro. I recently

Hi. I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a macbook pro.

I recently starting getting pop-up message boxes that ask me for my key chain password. what is this and can i stop it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

1. Goto Applications/Utilities and open Keychain Access
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  4. Authenticate with your account login/admin password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access and Restart your computer.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi -- before i do this, can you tell me what it is? does the keychain password XXXXX to every thing with a passwrd? or is there a different keychain passwword for each app? so if I reset it, will it change the password XXXXX lots of things -- or just one thing?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Keychain is just a database to store your login password, website passwords etc

You can safely reset the keychain. This usually happens if the keychain database is corrupted. Keychain password XXXXX XXXXX as login/admin password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi -- so I am still unclear -- by resetting the keychain password, does it reset ALL my passowrds or just a specific one?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
All the passwords saved on your Mac, i.e the email password, the paswords of the website your logged in, the wireless password XXXXX But you can re-enter them all after resetting it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oh - i dont know them all.... so, the keychain password XXXXX is the thing that remembers a password XXXXX a site/app so i dont need to enter everytime?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Resetting the Keychain is the only way to fix this problem. Don't you know your email or wireless passwords ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK i reset the password XXXXX you described and restarted my computer. when I opened my email it asked for the password, which i entered and checked the "save to keychain" box. Then it asked for the password XXXXX the SMTP server - what is that??? I got this error message when I netered again the password XXXXX my email.

The SMTP server “plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com” rejected the password XXXXX user “XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX”

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
SMTP password XXXXX XXXXX Yahoo Email's password. Did you tried your Yahoo password ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes -- and it rejected it. but I know this is the correct one.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Goto www.yahoo.com and can you login to your Mail from there using the same password ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it worked there...

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
In Mail, click on Mail menu and select Preferences. In Preferences, click on Accounts tab, delete your Yahoo account. Then add it back...