Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

HELLO,I HAVE HAD MY MACBOOK AIR FOR THREE MONTHS NOW.I LOVE

Customer Question

HELLO,I HAVE HAD MY MACBOOK AIR FOR THREE MONTHS NOW.I LOVE IT!BUT TONIGHT I SIGNED ON AND IT TOLD ME"BLOCKED PLUG IN".AND MY ADOBE FLASH PLAYER IS OUT OF DATE.I AM NOT TO TECHNICAL.I HAVE TRIED TO INSTALL THE NEW ONE BUT WHEN I HIT "INSTALL" IT DOES NOTHING.IT SAYS IT WILL TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO INSTALL,BUT DOESN'T EVEN START.IT WON'T LET ME HEAR OR LOG ON TO NEWS,ETC AND NO SOUND.I HAVE TRIED TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS BUT TO NO AVAIL.I AM TRULY A MAC FOR SENIOR DUMMY....HELP MEXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.....THANKS,BARBARA
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

In your Mac, on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file "com.apple.safari.plist" from there. Then go to Macintosh HD/Library/Internet Plugins folder and trash everything from there.

Then open Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities folder. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk. Click Verify Disk, then Repair Disk. Then Repair Permission.

Then restart your Mac and open Safari. Then install Adobe Flash player.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where is the go menu?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The Go menu is on the top of the screen. See picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i do not see a "go",there is "history where go should be/

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you in Safari ? Close Safari. Click on the Finder icon in the dock ( the blue smiley icon in the left), Can you see the Go menu now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ashik,i am lost.can you call me and walkme thru it?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sure. Click on the empty space of your desktop and can you see the Go menu in the top?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will that file say macintosh/hd/plug in/internet..just like that? and when you say "trash"how do I do that,just click n it?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk. You can open it from either desktop or from Finder, in left column. Open Macintosh HD. Open Library folder. Open Internet Plugins folder. Delete all files from there. Let me know once you did that, so we can move to next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I deleted macintosh hd and library folder.i am not sure if i did the plug in folder,how do i check that?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can't delete Macintosh HD or Library folder. You only have to delete the contents of Internet Plugins folder.

Open Library folder, open Internet Plugins folder and only delete all files in there. Let me know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you still there? what is this,someone has posted ahead of you,notice?now i am really confused.....

,,

.......are you still there?sorry i am such a dummy!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you got my last response ? If not, here it is :

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ashik....have i lost you,,,,barbara

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No, I'm here. Did you got my last reply ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i lost your page,i hit some thing by mistake,i have to get this fixed,i am sorry

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You didn't lost me, you are on the correct page. Can you see my above replies ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

lease tell me how to get into those folders again

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Open Macintosh HD. You can find Macintosh HD in your desktop or in Finder (left column). Then open Library folder. Open Internet Plugins folder. Delete all files from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ashik,when you say delete,exactly how do i delete?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Just click and drag them to Trash icon in the dock. Or select them and press Command + delete key on yoru Keyboard
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ashik,this is still barbara and i am so frustrated ,i could cry.nothing is going right.i hit the wrong button and lost the screen.I am still here.i am having trouble navigating around and i don't know the terms real well.why did this do this.? did i do something wrong to make it loose sound etc?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hello Barbara, this usually happens if the plugin file corrupted. We need to delete the old corrupted plugin and reinstall a new one.

Can you goto the Internet Plugins folder and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what is the internet plugins folder and where do i find it?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you not following my suggestion ?

Open your hard disk Macintosh HD. You can find Macintosh HD in your desktop or in Finder (left column). Then open Library folder. You can find the Internet Plugins folder there. Open Internet Plugins folder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am trying to follow,i really am! where is my macintosh hd.i have no left column,or where is the correct finder.please help me

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk. It may have another name like Mac HD, My HD etc.

Can't you find it on desktop (a hard disk icon) ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the hard disk icon on the tool bar on the bottom?yes i know where that is,now what

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you opened your hard disk Macintosh HD? If so, can you see a Library folder ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the hard disk icon on the bottom,is that the one? if so i just open it up,and find the library folder to do what with,sorry,don't hate me

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No worries. I will stay with you until we fix the problem. Macintosh HD is supposed to be on desktop or in Finder window. See a sample pic below;
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have icons at the bottom of page and that is where my mac hd icon is and the blue smily face finder is,not along the side,is that the one?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Open it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

problem,i can't open it with this question column here.won't let me bring it up?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Just minimize this page by clicking the - icon the top left corner of this window. Or press Command + H to minimize this page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok,i pressed it and one of the things that popped up is the a line of ribbons that say flash player 1 exe thru 4 exe,and 4 that say install flash player osx 2.2 dmg thru 2.5 dmg.now what do i do

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure you clicked Macintosh HD ?

Can't you find your Macintosh HD in Finder like in the Picture below ?
graphic
(click the picture to enlarge it)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

did you get my last message? i clicked it once and got those ribbons that were for flash player and install flash player.now what,when you have time.

,,

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You are not doing it correctly. Can you find your Macintosh HD in Finder like in the Picture below ?
graphic
(click the picture to enlarge it)
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
See this picture below too;
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am sorry,but in the finder at the bottom of page,that looks just like the macintosh HD I CANT FIGURE OUT WHERE TO FIND THE PAGE YOU SHOWED ME AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT ALL BLUE PAGE

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What icons can you see on the desktop ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DESK TOP,IS THAT AT THE BOTTOM OF PAGE,OR THE TOP.BOTTOM HAS DOWNLOADS,TERMINAL,SYSTEM PREFERENCE ALIAS,ADDRESS,FACEBOOK,APP TIME,MISSION CONTROL,LAUNCH PAD,MAIL,SAFARI,ANF FINDER[BLUE HAPPY FACE]

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Desktop is your entire screen where you can see the background. Your Mac is not supposed to be in the bottom. Please click the picture below and you can see where the Mac HD is supposed to be
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ASHIK,is there a problem with my macbook or is it me.?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

No Problem with your Macbook. In your Mac, click on Go menu and select Computer. Anything happens ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

don't want to sound dumb,but what do you mean go menu?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Go menu is in the top, see picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can't get the go to pop up

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Restart your Mac and without clicking anything, look on the top bar and you can find the Go menu.

Add this page to your favorites or add it as bookmark. So you can get back to me after restart.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

after i hit go then what do i do

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Select Computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when i logged out ,waited and logged back in ,it came right back to this spot.....still no go sign,and i have seen it today,awhile ago.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click on the blue finder icon in the bottom of the screen and that will bring the menu with Go option in the top. Doesn't it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

go came up but when i started to type it reverted back to other.i can tell you what igo said.it listed back,forward,enclosing folder,all files,documents,desk top,download,home computer,air drop,network,applications,utilities.then recent folders,goto folders,and connect to server.what does that tell you?

,,

go just showed up a minute ago,when i started typing,it reverted back
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Thats because it is switching back to Safari window (this window) from Finder. Click on Finder, click on Go menu and select Computer. That will bring a window with many icon. Can you see Macnitosh HD in that window ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no macintosh id in the window.what do you want me to do with that long http message?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I just don't understand why there isn't a Macintosh HD on your Mac. I want you to go that address and that will bring the instructions to uninstall Adobe Flashplayer from your Mac. Follow the instructions in there to uninstall flash player from your Mac. Let me know once you did that...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok,damn that is a long address!! so do i need to get out of here or just add it in the window in the top of the screen?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Just click on that address and that will take you to that page : http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

You can open that address in new page. Hold down Control or Command key and click that address. That will open the page in new tab or window without losiong this page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok,i did it,did it uninstall it.now what ,computer god,what do i do now.was it uninstalled,can you tell?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to do the steps in that instructions from start to end successfully ?

Now we can reinstall Flash Player. Download and install it from this link ---> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the instructions were so long that i used that address you sent me.what else did i need to do.i put in that address and hit enter,was that enough?to uninstall it,i did not do anything else.didi mess up!

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You have to follow that instructions .No, thats not enough. Please do what the instruction says. You didn't mess up anything. Actually you didn't done anything yet.

Okay...Lets start over. Close everything except this window. Let me know once you did that...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all windows are closed except this one,i do not see anymore that are open,now what?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click on the Finder (blue icon) in the dock. What happens ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it stayed blue till i clicked to write to you.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Thats strange. Doesn't it opened any window ?

Can you restart your Mac and try again. Make sure you restart your Mac, not logout and login.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i restarted it as you said,did not log out and in,now try to uninstall againand follow directions....i hope i can understand them?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Try it..let me know if you have any difficulty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is a little too difficult,to tell the truth.I have been at this for hours like you,but i don't understand the language and i am afraid it is over my head

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any one there to help you ? We are only trying to delete couple of files that are corrupted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i don't right now,my daughters boyfriend is a real techie,but he is not here.can he follow these directions later?if you put in everything he needs to do to follow ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he can follow these later. Just ask him to read this thread and he will understand everything (hope so). If not, pelase get back to me and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Add a bookmark of this page or add it to your favorites, so you can get back to me directly, anytime you want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do i add a bookmark to it or mark it favorite?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click on Bookmarks menu and select Add Bookmark or press Command(Apple) + D

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your wonderful help,it is not your fault that i am such a novice.you are so nice and after all these hours I think we are now family.thank you ,barbara

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
My Pleasure :)

Take Care,
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I'm here..Are you online ?