Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hpw can I get myHP printer on line Deskjet 5740? (IMAC )SX

Hpw can I get myHP printer on line Deskjet 5740? (IMAC )SX 10.6.8
Deskjet 6800 currently on line from the previous owner.
Hi there, Are you getting any errors when you print ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO Printing. The 5740 is off line. The previous owner of this IMac had a deskjet 6800

We can reset the Printing System of your Mac and see if it works or not.

1. Goto System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  2. Open Print & Fax ( you can also open Print & Fax from the View menu)
  3. Control-click (Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu.graphic
  4. After resetting the Printer, add your Printer back by pressing the + icon.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I see the control button. Now what??

Hold down Control key on your Keyboard and select the Printer in the list. Then click Reset Printing Sytem. This will delete all active printers from your Mac. Then just add your Printer back from there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't get it. I quit. I'

ll try again later.

Open System Preferences from dock or from Apple menu. In System Preferences, you can find the option Print and Fax. Open it and it will open the Print and Fax window. In there, you can find the list of installed printers. Now, hold down the Control key on your Keyboard. Without releasing the Control key, click on the Printer's name in the list and it will show a sub menu. Select "Reset Printing System" option from the menu, like in the picture below;
That will reset it.

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've called Geek Choice to connect the printer. They'lll be here today. Thanks for trying to help me.

You're welcome :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

GEEK CHOICE FIXED THE PRINTER CONNECTION!! In only 15 minutes and $100.00 later.

Glad you got it sorted it out...