Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Outlook 2011 wont open on my iMac: message is "Microsoft Ou

Outlook 2011 won't open on my iMac: message is "Microsoft Outlook can not be opened because of a problem".
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that you are not able to open Outlook....:(

The only solution here would be to rebuild the database and to create a new identity.

Let me know whether the following document resolves your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Vinod,

I tried this already but still no success.

Then I am afraid you will have to start from scratch.

If the error message you get is similar to the one I gave in the document, then let's try creating from scratch.

To start from scratch, you have to drag the Office 2011 Identity folder (only if there are no other identities) to the Trash, and then restart Outlook.

Let's see whether this works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Vinod,

I just noticed that in my Office 2011 folder I have multiple identity folders including Office 2011 Identities, 3 x Main Identity and 1 Office 2011 Identities copy.

Should I delete all of these folders?

Which operating system do you have on the mac?

To find it, click on the apple logo at the top left corner of the computer and then on "about this mac"?

You can find it as 10.6, 10.7 etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8

Click on "Finder", Go to Applications\Utilities. Click on Disk utility. (you can also open disk utility by clicking on "Go" menu at the top of the computer and then clicking on utilities).

When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left.

Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right.

If that succeeds and you see a green color, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

now try to open the outlook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Completed both tasks but still no luck.

It looks like I have a number of identities in Outlook. Could this be a problem?

It could be.

Let's check this too.

When you get that error message, there would be a path listed below that. Can you give me that path please? It would say something akin to XXXXX\Applications\Microsoft Office 2011
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here it is;

Process: Microsoft Outlook [3237]
Path: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Outlook
Identifier: com.microsoft.Outlook
Version: 14.1.0 (14.1.0)
Build Info: Unknown-110310~0
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [133]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2012-08-18 16:07:23.586 +0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8 (12A269)
Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: 144001 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 37
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 36
Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: __ZN14PreferenceKeys46kUseEmailToDoRecipientEncryptionCertsLookUpKeyE
Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Outlook
Expected in: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../Office/OutlookCore.framework/Versions/14/OutlookCore
in /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Outlook

Thank you.

are you able to open other office applications such as excel, word etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, no problem

Have you tried a normal restart of the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, a couple of times but will do again now just to make sure.

ok, let's see whether we third time lucky.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sadly, still the same problem. The funny thing is I have the same version of Outlook working in parallel on my MacBook Air and it is working fine. It is only the iMac which is causing me problems and only Outlook.

Sorry, Peter. I am just aware of the basic troubleshooting of mac applications.

I will opt out here so that another expert might be able to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Vinod. I appreciate your help. A couple of quick questions;

1. do I rate you now or wait until the problem is solved?

2. when will the expert be in contact to help me?

Cheers,

Peter

please don't rate me. Please rate the person who resolves your issue.

Since it is night time in US and a weekend, most of the experts would be available only after another 6-7 hours. But some are available now too.

If one replies to you, you will get an email notification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much Vinod. I really appreciate your efforts trying to help me. Enjoy the weekend. Cheers, Peter

you too!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Hold down Shift key on your Keyboard and open Outlook. Does it starts Outlook ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ashik,

No, the same error message comes up.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In Finder, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will open your Library folder. Open Preferences folder and trash the following files from there;

com.microsoft.Outlook.plist
com.microsoft.outlook.database_daemon.plist
com.microsoft.outlook.database_utility.plist
com.microsoft.outlook.office_reminders.plist
com.microsoft.Outlook.SyncServicesPreferences.plist

Restart Outlook. Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the preferences folder I could only find utility.plist and reminders.plist and deleted both of these.

The following files were in preferences by host folder so let me know if I need to delete them also;

file://localhost/Users/peter/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.microsoft.outlook.database_daemon.17FFBF83-697D-5959-A5B1-E92716756F5C.plist

file://localhost/Users/peter/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.microsoft.outlook.database_daemon.17FFBF83-697D-5959-A5B1-E92716756F5C.plist.lockfile

file://localhost/Users/peter/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.microsoft.outlook.database_utility.17FFBF83-697D-5959-A5B1-E92716756F5C.plist

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There are two Preferences folder. One in Mac HD > Library folder and one in Mac HD > Users > Library folder.

You have to look in the Preferences folder of Mac HD > Users > Library

Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of Mac HD > Users

Then trash everything realted to Outlook from there.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you can't still locate the files, then open Application Support folder in Preferences folder. Open Microsoft, and then open Office 2011. Drag the following files to the desktop:
  • Outlook Preferences
  • OfficeSync Prefs

Restart Outlook. Let me know if that didn't work...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still same error message

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Documents, and then open Microsoft User Data. Move the Office 2011 Identities folder to the desktop. Make sure you are moving it, not copying it to desktop. There won't be any Identities folder in Office 2011 folder when you move it. Open Outlook. Does that works ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Move the folder. Still the same error message.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay...Do you have another User Account on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem Ashik. No, I am sure there is just the one user account. Is there a way I can confirm just in case?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Goto System Preferences and open Accounts. You can find all the user accounts there.

Just create a new administrator account from there. Then logout from Apple menu and login to new account. Open Outlook. Let me know if you are getting the same error in new account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just set up the new user and tried to log in again but came up with the same message again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the Office installationd discs ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do but tried this before and no change. Should I try reloading the software once again?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but before that please login to new user account and let me know.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Unisntall Office 2011 completely before reinstalling it. See here : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ashik,

Good news! I successfully loaded Outlook on the administrator account. Should I follow the same process on my main login....delete the old version and reinstall a new copy? If yes, can I protect all my old emails so I don't lose them?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. No, you don't need to reinstall Outlook on old account. Just login to old accout and see if you are able to open Outlook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, looks like it is asking me to setup mail again which is great. Where can I find all my old emails etc.?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Just move the Office 2011 Identities folder from the desktop back to Microsoft User Data folder.

Open Outlook. That will load your Identity back to Outlook
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much Ashik. I rated you as excellent.

Enjoy the weekend. Cheers, Peter

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome :)

You too Enjoy the weekend....

Best Regards,