Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am having trouble uploading and downloading...takes a LONG

I am having trouble uploading and downloading...takes a LONG time, and sometimes my MacBook Pro (snow leopard) starts to overheat. Any idea!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? When did this problem started ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I use Apple OSX 10.6.8. The problem started a month ago, more or less.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Goto www.speedtest.net, then run it. Please let me know your Upload and Download speed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Please post the reuslts here. Don't post new questions..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Results: Ping 100 ms, Download 1.32 Mbps, Upload 0.69 Mbps

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

Your connection is slow, do you have this problem with different devices or computer ?

Can you contact your Internet Service Provider and ask them about your actual speed of your connection ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I do have this problem with another computer. However, my main Mac is the one that seems to overheat. (That is one question: does the fact that the fans come on frequently indicate a mechanical problem?) As far as the server, I just contracted with a NEW server two days ago (CenturyLink, our local phone provider.) I will call and ask them...and will get back to you about this. One question: in general, what (ballpark) speeds for upload and download should I be expecting?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The download and upload Speed of Internet will be depend upon your internet plans. You can contact the ISP and ask them about your speeds.

The fan will come on (or max out) frequently if your Mac is over heating. Reset the SMC of your Mac and see if that fixes the fan issue. Reset SMC : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, OK. I went to the URL and followed the procedures for resetting SMC. (Just shutting down, disconnecting power, reconnecting, and starting up again?) I'm still having the same fan problems, although the symptoms the URL describes of needing an SMC reset are pretty much identical to what I'm experiencing. Should I try it again?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. No, no need to try again. Resetting SMC should fix the fan unless there is any other problem with your Mac. You can reinstall your OS X with the disc. Put the OS X Disc 1 to your Mac. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down C key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boots into the disc. It may take upto 15 minutes to boot into the disc. Once it booted to disc, follow the onscreen to reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one. So if the problem is software related, reinstalling will fix it.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc