Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Whenever I try to play video material or use games on safari

Whenever I try to play video material or use games on safari the screen flickers and flashes, showing parts of old searches and part of current search. It has become impossible at look at video on safari as a result. I am using an old operating system (v 10.5.8) but surely this is not linked to need to upgrade?
I agree, It isn't linked to need to upgrade. Have you tried resetting Safari ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do you reset safari?
In Safari, click on Safari menu and select Reset Safari. In Reset Safari window, select everything and click Reset.

Then Empty Cache from Safari window.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sadly that did not fix it. The video images in safari flicker all the time, sometimes breaking up and showing old sites cut in between current video clip.
When did this problem started ?

Can you try another browser like Mozilla Firefox and see if you have the problem in it. Download Firefox from here : http://www.mozilla.org/