Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have gone to use my computer (imac) with lion- 2 years old

I have gone to use my computer (imac) with lion- 2 years old and it has asked for password XXXXX has not consistently not let me access- there is the option for guest log in which I am using now. I have checked caps lock etc. There is a different screen to normal. I have changed my password XXXXX my ipad and tried that one but to no avail, can you help?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

You can reset the password XXXXX see if that works or not..

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • This will boot your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu and select “Terminal"
  • Type resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then the password XXXXX and reboot Mac OS X

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi - I have now got a screen up saying Disk Utility - there are options but not one for terminal
On the top bar, you can see a menu named Utilities. Click on it and you can find Terminal. See picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have got the terminal top bar up but cannot see change password- it has a top bar with the entries -terminal-shell-edit-view-window-help

Type resetpassword

Then press return key
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It says command not found

Did you type it exactly, without any spaces ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it case sensitive and do I type it in a window that comes up title 'bash'

Yes. Write all in smaller case and there is no space between reset and password

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have reset password XXXXX am now testing it
Ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Ashik- its let me in - thank you but is saying I need a key chain password XXXXX will not recognise the password XXXXX have just made?

You can reset the Keychain Password XXXXX fix the Keychain issue.
  1. Goto Applications > Utilities and open Keychain Access
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
  4. Authenticate with your account password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access and Restart your computer.