Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

Microsoft Outlook must be closed because an error occurred.

Microsoft Outlook must be closed because an error occurred. Any unsaved work may be lost. I tried to delete over 800 SENT emails, then empty delete folder. This seemed to not make the Outlook for MAC OS X Happy. Crashed and when I try to open Outlook, I get this message. Please don't tell me I have to do the main identity thing again? I did this once before a couple months ago when I performed a routine Microsoft AutoUpdate and it deleted all my Outlook folders, etc. What is a recommended course of action?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

it may be related to the Identity

Steve Herrod :

but could also be a corrupt preference file

Steve Herrod :

what version of OSX and Outlook are you using?

Customer:

OX X 10.7.4

Customer:

Outlook 2011

Steve Herrod :

thanks

Steve Herrod :

what I would try first is moving the Outlook preference files to the Desktop and seeing if the error still occurs

Steve Herrod :

1. Quit all applications.

2. On the Go menu, click Home.

3. Open Library.
    Note The Library folder is hidden in Mac OS X Lion. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.

4. Open Preferences, and then drag the following files to the desktop:

• com.microsoft.Outlook.plist

• com.microsoft.outlook.database_daemon.plist

• com.microsoft.outlook.database_utility.plist

• com.microsoft.outlook.office_reminders.plist

• com.microsoft.Outlook.SyncServicesPreferences.plist

Customer:

All was fine until I tried to empty the delete file which had over 800 of my "sent" msgs. Now I cannot open outlook at all...it will put up that must be closed because an error occurred. Any unsaved work may be lost" msg. And, of course, the wheel of death

Steve Herrod :

yes, it could be an identity issue as you mentioned

Steve Herrod :

but may just be a corrupt preference file

Customer:

If I quit all apps, will I lose the chat session? Also, is there any easy way to quit all apps without manually doing it to each?

Steve Herrod :

yes, the chat session will go - but if you bookmark/add to favorites you can come straight back

Steve Herrod :

you can use the Command and Option keys, and then press Esc to bring up the Force Quit Window?

Steve Herrod :

allowing you to close everything but Finder from there

Customer:

I am only finding the microsfot.outlook.plist file. Am looking in TODAY.

Customer:

I have the preferences open now....not sure if that's good while in chat?

Steve Herrod :

should be ok to find them while in chat

Steve Herrod :

just need to move them with everything closed ideally

Customer:

Yup, only the com.microsoft.outlook.plist file is there.

Steve Herrod :

that's ok - some will be dependent on various features

Steve Herrod :

so just move that one

Steve Herrod :

with everything closed

Steve Herrod :

and then see if Outlook will start correctly

Customer:

Okay, I was able to "sort of " open Outlook with the plist on the desktop instead of preferences. I'm at the point where the Welcome to Outlook Mac appears and I either add account or import. Does this mean I lost everything...again? And what do I do now?

Customer:

Because I see NOTHING in the outlook folders. :o(

Steve Herrod :

that implies there is some corruption in the files - if you move the preference file back we can then look at further options

Steve Herrod :

what e-mail account are you usind in Outlook?

Customer:

AOL...more technical than that and you will have to prompt me. Sorry.

Customer:

Do I move the folder with Safari closed again?

Steve Herrod :

no that's ok

Customer:

And close outlook?

Steve Herrod :

yes, move it back with everything closed

Customer:

Was prompted by a Newer item already exists do you want to replace with older one?

Steve Herrod :

yes

Customer:

Ok. Folder back in preferences, and of course, Outlook does not open.

Steve Herrod :

ok, we can try a database rebuild

Steve Herrod :

if you hold down the option key and Start Outlook

Steve Herrod :

you should get the Microsoft Database Utility load up

Customer:

Ok. I have Main Identity. Dated today. Main Identity 2 (May 2). The other crash folder, probably. Do I rebuild the newer one? I click on it and then the rebuild?

Steve Herrod :

yes, click on it and then choose rebuild

Customer:

Did that. Said it was rebuilt successfully. Now I have a new Main Identity folder, a Main Identity 2 folder (may 2) and the main identity back up (earlier than the rebuilt version).

Customer:

Do I try outlook again?

Steve Herrod :

yes, now try Outlook again

Steve Herrod :

and we'll see what happens

Customer:

Brava! Am I good for the moment?

Steve Herrod :

yes indeed

Steve Herrod :

if it shoudl happen again then try the option key-->Rebuild trick

Customer:

Do you want to be our neighbor??? :o) Okay...what do I do now? First time in this just answer.mac

Steve Herrod :

would love to :)

Steve Herrod :

well, if you're happy with the service please rate Ok/Good/Excellent and I'll be credited

Customer:

Great. Thank you Steve.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

you're welcome

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software