Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

why can i get my ipad on line in some places and not other

why can i get my ipad on line in some places and not others?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Does this happens with 3G or Wifi ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wifi only
In your iPad, goto Settings and tap General. Tap Reset. Tap Reset All Network Settings. Then try to connect again. Does that works ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
unfortunately I am at home and I can always get on line here. I can go to one place where I can't get on line but then I won't be able to communicate!
We need to check whether the reset worked or not. So you have to check on other WiFi. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, i'll come back on line in an hour or so - am doing reset now
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it worked! why hasn't anyone else ever told me that. Thanks very much
I'm glad that worked :) If you like my service, please rate me Positive. Your iPad just need to refresh its network settings.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ashik, this solution doesn't work in the other place I need to get on line. What else can I try?

Have you tried restoring your iPad from iTunes on your computer ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no. Is that the most likely explanation? not a problem between Apple tech and the non-Apple router?

Yes. iPad works with all routers without any problem. Do you have iTunes installed on your computer ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes. cd easily re-install. but can't test it til next week. can i come back to you then if there's still a problem?

Connect your iPad to your computer and open ITunes. In iTunes, select your iPad, then sync it. Then restore it by clicking the Restore button.

Yes, you can get back to me anytime you want.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks will do

You're welcome :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Ashik, I'm afraid the re-install hasn't solved the problem. Tried the reset too, without effect. So what's the next step??

Does this happens with most of all routers ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no - at least, I don't have very wide experience: it works fine at home, it works in one of the places where I work, but not the other - where other people had problems with i-phones too, which have been resolved by resetting the router. I sign up on the network put in the password etc, it says 'joining' and then it says 'cannot join'.

Then it must be the problem with security mode. Do you know what security mode does the router uses ? WPA or WPE ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'm afraid I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the router, not with your iPad. We've already tried all troubleshooting steps on your iPad.
Can you check your iPad with other wifis too ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not easily . What cd i do to the router?
Change the security mode to WPA if it is WPE. So you have trouble only connecting to this particular router ?