Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Mac Pro two optical drives

My Mac Pro two optical drives eject any data dvd I introduce. They appear in disk utility but are greyed out. Music DVD's work. Any advice please?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Does both drives ejects the discs ? When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many months ago but I did not pay much attention as I rarely use the optical drives now. Furthermore I could use my MacBook drive if needed.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Does they eject only DVDs or does they ejects CDs too ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OS X 10.8
I don't know. I only have music CD's and they work.
So the drives are ejecting only DVDs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and see if it works or not

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Let me know if that didn't worked, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed your instructions and now both screens are stuck on white. It has been happening regularly recently and sometimes I had to boot in safe mode then in normal mode. I don't know why this happens but do not think that it's related with the superdrive problem. I'll now try safe mode
Before trying Safe Mode, try Disk Utility.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • This will boot your Mac to XXXXX Utilities” menu
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • In Disk Utility, Repair your disk and Repair Permission
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I am already in safe mode. The optical drives' behaviour has not changed. Shall I follow your latest instructions now?
Yes, please try it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All done. Disk and permissions were OK. Rebooted. Still ejects my disks.
We can reset the System Management Controller and see if it works or not.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Does that works ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All done, no change. If I click any of the 2 greyed out SuperDrives in Disk Utility the right window shows: To erase a rewritable CD or DVD so that you can write to it again:
1. Choose how to erase it ... etc

Is all this normal?
Your Mac doesn't recognize the discs. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes but I bought it in 2008. It must be Leopard. Now I have Mountain Lion on.
You can try to boot into the disc. Put the disc 1 to your Mac and turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down C key on your Keyboard. Keep the key held down until it boot into the disc. Does it boots into the disc ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. It ejected the disk twice during rebooting.
Then it must be related to hardware. Can you reinstall your Moutain Lion OS X ? That is the only option I could think of now as we already tried all troubleshooting steps so far.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I only installed a few weeks ago when it was released. Why do you think that going through this again should have an effect now?
If it is software related, then reinstalling will fix it. Do you had this problem before upgrading to 10.8 ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Long before. Furthermore, would a hardware problem affect DVS's and not CD's?
There are two different lens on a drive, one for DVD and one for CD. This usually happens if the lens of DVD is failed. But it is very STRANGE that it happens on both drives. Can you make sure all the connections to the drive are fine on your Mac Pro ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How? Should I open it? I haven't for at least a year. Would a connection be partially undone on both drives?
Yes, open it up. It is possible to have connection problem. If you are not comfortable doing that, then it'd be better to take it to the Apple Store.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I'll do it now
Good Luck :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All done. I gave it a good dusting too. The connections were fine. I pulled them out and put them back in and they felt quite firm.
Still ejects the tray when I put a DVD in.
I'm Sorry, but it seems more like a hardware problem, something we can't fix online. You will have to take it to the Apple Store. We've all tried everything. Sorry I couldn't solve your problem..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, thanks for trying.
You're welcome :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik the tip mentioned here would be on top of the fee I had to sign for at the beginning?
Yes, I think so.

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK thanks
Have a great day :)

Take Care,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A great night rather, I'm going to sleep. It's 10 pm. Bye
Good Night :)