Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Since updating my iMac to OS 10.6.8 I am unable to use Microsoft

Since updating my iMac to OS 10.6.8 I am unable to use Microsoft Word. They have suggested I contact you for a suggestion! Help!

Eric Hutchinson
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Also we're not Microsoft. What happens when you open Word ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The message: Connect with the developer to make sure Microsoft Word works with this version of Mac OSX. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the app and Mac OSX. This report will be sent to Apple automatically.
What version of Office is this ? Do you have the Office installation discs ?

Does Excel and PowerPoint works ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know what version of Office it is and, for the moment, I cannot find the installation disc. Excel and Powerpoint do not work.
In your Mac, goto System Preferences and open Accounts. Create a new administrator account from there. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the new account. Can you run Word in the new account ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cannot do as you ask because I cannot find my password XXXXX mobile me. Sorry to be so technologically stupid. How can I rediscover my password XXXXX maybe I am using the wrong user name.
You don't need the Mobile Me password XXXXX create a user account on your Mac. Refer this article :

Also, can you please search the Office discs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I went to as you suggested, the first instruction was "click the new user button". Well, there wasn't one! So I am stuck - and unable to understand how to proceed. I will search for the discs as suggested, however, my problem is far from being solved.
Did you clicked the + icon the bottom left corner of Account window ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for that tip. I have now created a new account. When I "lock up" to move out of Accounts the screen jumps back to the original account and Word still does not open. I will continue to search for discs. I have found some irrelevant ones so I maybe on the correct trail. Thanks for your help so far. It must be rare to have someone so hopeless on the line.
Click on the Apple icon and select Logout. Then in the login screen, select the new account and login to it. We are creating the new account just to test whether the Office works in it or not.

We will need the disc to fix the Office problem...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am convinced you are correct. The new account does not even show word in the dock. I tried making sense of Microsoft help before coming to you. I will probably need to buy access again though I will continue to search for the disc. Last question: - do you have a sensible email address for appropriate help from Microsoft?
You can find the Office in the Applications folder in new account. Can you open Word from there ?

I don't have a correct email address of Microsoft. But you can contact Microsoft from here :

Let me know when you found the discs, so we can fix yoru Office.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all you long-suffering help. For effort I would award *****.
If you are satisfied, please rate me Positive.

And Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me directly without paying again anytime and I'm glad to continue to help you.
Don't forget to add this page to your bookmarks or to your favorites, so you can get back to me when you get the discs.

Forgot to mention, goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Under First Aid tab and click Verify Disk and then Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If that didn't work, then we will need the disc to reinstall Office. If it is Office 2008 or lower versions, then I'd recommend to buy the latest Office 2011 from here :