MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

In the process of restoring iphone 4. Stuck on connect to itunes

Customer Question

In the process of restoring iphone 4. Stuck on connect to itunes screen. phone appears in itunes, it looks like it synched, then everything just stopped. Nothing on the phone is telling me how to continue.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Customer :

waiting...

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your patience

MacTechTrainer :

What you can do, in order to resolve this issue, is start by resetting your Apple iOS device (i.e. iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch)
(Note: this does not remove any settings, data or media you have installed in your device)
• To perform a hard reset, press and hold your Sleep button (located on top of device) and Home Menu button (located on bottom middle of device) for approximately 10 seconds.
• Once your screen goes black, release both keys. (If you see a white Apple logo before you release the keys you have held the keys to long and will need to start the reset process once again)
• The next screens you should see after the black screen, is the Apple logo screen followed by the main screen.

MacTechTrainer :

Once you have performed this hard reset, you should be able to re-start and start the restore process, without the hangup your iPhone 4 has been having

MacTechTrainer :

Now if this does not work, do not let it discourage you, as I do have several other work around procedures in order to resolve this issue for you.

MacTechTrainer :

I will remain in this session for you until we get this restore process resolved

MacTechTrainer :

please update me when you can- thanks

Customer :

ok same thing. synched appeared to happen, phone is still appearing in itunes, but nothing is happening.

MacTechTrainer :

thanks for the update

MacTechTrainer :

Now with the synch appearing to happen, do you see any of the changes from the last sync, in your iTunes library

MacTechTrainer :

and is the iPhone still stuck on the connect to iTunes screen>

Customer :

what changes? yes, stuck at connect to itunes

MacTechTrainer :

Ok here is what I want you to try now:

MacTechTrainer :

First plug your Apple iPhone (if not already plugged in), into your computer with iTunes running,

- Then do a forced reboot by holding the Sleep/Wake button and Home screen button down for about 10 seconds.

- Once it starts rebooting let go off both buttons.

- As soon as your iPhone reboots and the Apple logo appears, press and keep holding down the home screen button while you iPhone keeps booting up.

- This forces your iPhone to boot in a recovery mode. At that point, iTunes will now be able to connect to your iPhone and you should now properly be able to restore it.

MacTechTrainer :

Keep in mind, this is a slight variation from the normal hard reset, because you are now going to put your iPhone into Recovery mode, which is what this procedure does

MacTechTrainer :

keep me posted- I am watching this closely

Customer :

should i hit the restore button in itunes (on my computer)? its telling me my data will be erased

MacTechTrainer :

Here is the key to this process, first of all, if you have previously synced your iPhone successfully then you should be able to

MacTechTrainer :

perform the restore, because you can always restore iTunes your most recent back up

MacTechTrainer :

to bring your most recent data back onto your iPhone

MacTechTrainer :

however, if you have NOT performed any recent syncs with iTunes successfully prior to this process

MacTechTrainer :

then no

MacTechTrainer :

don't restore just yet, because you won't be able to retrieve that data if it is deleted -- and we will just have to try another process around this

Customer :

i guess im just worried about losing the data. theres no tab in itunes that i can click on to view the data. how do i know what has been backed up?

MacTechTrainer :

I can answer that for you

MacTechTrainer :

but just need to know real quick

Customer :

is there a screen (on the phone) after the "connect with itunes"? what should the phone be doing?

MacTechTrainer :

are you using a Windows or Mac computer?

Customer :

windows

MacTechTrainer :

Ok, one moment

MacTechTrainer :

I want to check a detail in iTunes before we continue

MacTechTrainer :

thanks again for being so patient, will be right with you

MacTechTrainer :

Ok what I would like you to do if you would is go into iTunes

MacTechTrainer :

and on the left side under Devices, tell me, with your iPhone connected, if you see an icon representing your iPhone currently displayed

Customer :

yes

MacTechTrainer :

right click on your iPhone icon and tell me if you get a submenu to appear

Customer :

yes

MacTechTrainer :

Select the Restore from Back up option

MacTechTrainer :

if you see it

MacTechTrainer :

let me know of course if you do:)

Customer :

yes i do

Customer :

last backed up 4:35

Customer :

should i hit 'restore' on the popup that appears?

MacTechTrainer :

That is great!

MacTechTrainer :

yes

MacTechTrainer :

you are ok to process the restore

MacTechTrainer :

this way you can perform the same action and restore from that most recent back up

MacTechTrainer :

that is good when backups in iTunes are seen by a user, because that is not always the case

MacTechTrainer :

that is why I was enthusiastic to see you do have very current back ups in iTunes for your iPhone

Customer :

iphone now says 'restore in progress' looks like we're getting somewhere

MacTechTrainer :

losing data and not being able to recover it, is the pits

MacTechTrainer :

that is what I am talking about-

MacTechTrainer :

excellent

MacTechTrainer :

I will just stand by for now

Customer :

itunes says its going to be awhile (30 min)

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry for the delay

MacTechTrainer :

how is the process going time-wise so far?

Customer :

still says about 25 min remaining

MacTechTrainer :

no worries

MacTechTrainer :

what you can do, is go ahead and bookmark this session page in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

then when the procedure is done, go back to the bookmarked session page and simply post a reply to update me that you are done

MacTechTrainer :

and I will be alerted that you are seeking to continue communicating with me-

MacTechTrainer :

I will also be alerted this way, whether I am offline or not

Customer :

im not navigating away from this page. my pc is tempermental--im not touching anything

MacTechTrainer :

Haa haa

MacTechTrainer :

no worries

MacTechTrainer :

I will be going off this session briefly

MacTechTrainer :

but when you are ready just post a reply and I will be alerted to come back online with you

MacTechTrainer :

will be watching for you, so update me when you are ready

Customer :

all set.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello again

MacTechTrainer :

so did it work - is your iPhone 4 now restored ?

MacTechTrainer :

Still with me ?

MacTechTrainer :

:)

MacTechTrainer :

When you can please don't hesitate to update me

Customer :

it restored, but the problem i was trying to fix by restoring it still exists. i think i have to take it to apple

MacTechTrainer :

So it is still stuck on the Connect to iTunes screen

Customer :

no, it restored. none of my sounds work. i tried turning them off then on again repeatedly with no success. even rebooted a couple of times no success. so i decided to restore. the restore finally worked with your help, but i still have the issue with the sounds. speakers are functional--i tried changing ringtones, watching videos etc. the speakers worked, but when i get a call, text, email etc--nothing

MacTechTrainer :

Got it

MacTechTrainer :

That makes sense and I did suspect that this may be a potential hardware issue, which is not uncommon with iPhone 4 models

MacTechTrainer :

because if a restore does not resolve the issue, the only other problem would have to be hardware related and not software

MacTechTrainer :

a factory restore you see, is the lowest level of resetting an iPhone that you can go

MacTechTrainer :

if that does not work, the next process in the root cause analysis of this troubleshooting would be to have the hardware of the iPhone checked

MacTechTrainer :

So are you going to take your iPhone in for service to your local Apple Retail Store

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to press rate my service as we are always glad to know how our customers feel about our work as Experts
And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, if you Accept an answer, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue you received help from me, comes back. If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark this session so you can come back to this session and alert me.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks!

MacTechTrainer :

Kind Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

-Terry ("The MacTechTrainer")

MacTechTrainer :

Sr. Mac Support Specialist