Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my imac will not boot up, tried all steps required to start

my imac will not boot up, tried all steps required to start in safe mode, cannot get past grey screen. Inserted the OS 10 disc and held c key, just grey screen nothing else happens.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Hold down the Power button of your Mac for 10 seconds and your Mac will turn off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Option key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boots into Startup Manager screen. From startup manager screen select Mac OS X Install DVD and press return key. Does that boot your Mac to the disc ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing happens
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mountain lion
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys. That will boot into ML Utilties. Doesn't it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the apple logo has now appeared, along with grey screen. nothing else. Just to be clear, I have mountain lion on the computer, but the start up disc is os 10.5.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Restart and immediately hold down the Option key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boots into Startup Manager screen. From startup manager screen, can you see Recovery HD partition ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am still holding, but just grey screen, the computer is not making any noises or anything.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you turn off your Mac, unplug all cables, wait 30 minutes and then try again ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try, how can I contact you in 30 minutes?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay...Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, tried what you asked, still just get grey screen. I guess I'll have to find somewhere to get it repaired.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Reset the PRAM and see if it works or not...
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys

Now try to boot into the disc...Does that works ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean by boot into the disc?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I meant, after resetting the PRAM, put the Mac OS X disc back to it and see if you are able to boot into it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the disc has been in the computer since we started, I cannot get it to eject.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Eject key on your keyboard or left mouse button until the disc ejects. Then reset PRAM and then restart and hold down Command + R keys. Does that boot your Mac to ML Utiltity window ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still holding eject button waiting for disc to eject
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If that didn't work, then hod down mouse button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing. disc did not eject yet. I don't get it, the computer restarted late last night on its own, which never happened before, and just grey screen.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a hardware problem and you have to take it to the Apple Store. Sorry I couldn't solve your problem...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I've one more suggestion. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot into Single User Mode. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

If your Mac doesn't boot into Single User Mode, then it is a hardware problem and you have to take it to the Apple Store as we tried all troubleshooting steps so far.

If you are not satisfied, please don't rate my answer bad (1 or 2 ratings are Negative). If you are not satisfied, you can close this page without rating and you can contact info@justanswer.com for refund.

If you are satisfied, please rate me OK Service or higher. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't work. I will find an apple store somewhere.

I am happy with your responses, even though the problem is beyond your control.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry I couldn't solve your problem...