Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I would like to backup my iPad photo Library with about 20.000

I would like to backup my iPad photo Library with about 20.000 photos to my Mac to iPhoto by keeping the Faces, the Events, the Places etc... I have tried the "iMacsoft iPad to Mac converter" and indeed it copied all my photos to the Mac but the iPhoto structure was lost. Is there a way/software with which I can backup my iPad Photo Library to my Mac with the iPhoto structure being kept?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Are those photos on the iPad are synced from your Mac's iPhoto Library ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes they were initially, but unfortunately my original iPhoto Library on my Mac was lost due to a strange activity of MacKeeper (I wanted to free up space on my Mac and MacKeeper deleted several thousand of files including the original iPhoto Library. Unfortunately I emptied the trash and all my photos were lost. I was able to recover most of them by the FileSalvage app to an outside hard drive but again the names, the dates and the structure of my photos were lost.
I still have a relatively good collection of my Photos on my iPad "Photos" Library and an additional 1000 photos from the Photo Stream. Now this is what I would like to backup to my Mac with its structure (Events, Places, Faces, etc...) Hope this helps!
Then the only way to tranfer them is by using third party applications. Can you try this one : ?

Try the trial version before buying it..

And Get rid of MacKeeper before it destroys your Mac.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I will try it. Do you think it will be better then iMacsoft iPad to Mac converter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am trying to install it, but it says:
"ipad-to-mac-transfer.pck" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.

What should i do?
Goto System Preferences and open Security and Privacy. Click on General tab. Select Anywhere under the Allow Applications downoaded from option. Then install it..

That Imtoo might not work, but its worth a try.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Seems like it is better than the other one, try it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Do you know imtoo? How to do the synchronisation? I am just read to follow your step by step advice.
Maybe I could share my screen with you over
Sorry for the delay..Yes, I've used the Imtoo in the past and it always worked for me. But I don't remember that it keeps the structure of the Library. I think the current version of Imtoo have that feature. It says that it can backup your entire library. Try the trial version.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes but how to do it step by step? Can you help?
Sure. Did you installed and opened ImToo ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the trial version. Could you guide me through step by step what to do? Maybe I could share my screen with you with
Unfortunately, I can't join you. JustAnswer won't allow any type of remote connections. But I'll download the ImToo trial version and give you instructions. Let me know download it first on my Mac.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. Let me know when you are ready!
Download and installed. I just tried, and I can extract the photos from the albums or the entire albums itself. Try it yourself. Open ImToo, and connect your iPad. Click on Photos tab. In the right column, click on the second icon in the top bar (hills icon) and it will show all albums. Select the album you want to copy, and click the hard disk icon in the bottom to download it to your computer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I did what you said but it seems that the ImTOO went into an infinite loop :-( and the software is frozen. Shall I wait or Forcequit? Maybe I have too many photos on the iPad?
Too many photos, that might be the problem. Try to extract the albums one by one. Yes, Force Quit, restart your Mac and then try again.

Don't open any other application while downloading the photos.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I will restart the process as you suggested.
Good Luck with it..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks like I have transferred 3 Albums ok to the Mac (about 9.000) . But I still have more pictures about 11.000 in Events which I do not see in the ImTOO. How can I transfer those?
Thats strange..can you restart ImToo and try again ? Also, check Camera roll too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is nothing in Camera roll on the iPad. I did restart ImTOO several times during the process and it only offers the 3 Albums corresponding to the 3 Albums on the iPad which is fine. However I have many-many Events on my iPad which do not show up on ImTOO. Or maybe I just do not find them? Where to look for them in ImTOO???
Can you see them when you select the other icon ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So when clicking on the mountain icon is shows 3 Albums:
Last 12 Months: 3815 Photos

Places: 4295 Photos and

Viktor? 1855 Photos

That is a total of: 9965 Photos (I think these are the ones already transferred to my mac)

However when I click on the other Icon (the first one) it says it has 22.335 photos which corresponds to the total number of photos on the iPad. They certainly contain all the photos but they are not grouped into events as on my iPad. So to me it seems that 22.335-9.965=12.370 photos still need to be transferred and somehow find the Event (and Face and Places) structure.
Seems like Imtoo can't recognize the remaining albums. Does your iPad shows those remaining albums in its photo library ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well it is strange. My ipad shows only the same 3 Albums: Last 12 Months, Places and Viktor. However it shows a circle all the time as it were thinking. I do have iCloud service for 50Gbyte and I have Photo Stream turned on and the Events tab also circles in infinite loop.
2. My other question is: How can I create an iPhoto Library from the Folder I have transfered the photos to.
If the photos are on Photo Stream, then they should be downloaded to your iPhoto if you enabled Photo Stream on iPhoto.

Since the albums doesn't show up, you will have to transfer the remaining photos all at once.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I create an iPhoto Library from the Folder I just transfered the Photos to? I named the Folder to ImTOO on my HD. What is the step by step process to create an old/new iPhoto Library from it? Ones it is done I might be able to to download the Photo Stream to it.
Hold down Option key on your Keyboard and open iPhoto. Select Create New Library and that will create new iPhoto Library.

Then just click and drag the folder (you transferred the photos to from Imtoo) to the iPhoto icon in the dock and everything will be imported to iPhoto.

Remember, don't ever sync your iPad with iTunes unless you transfer all photos from it to your Mac using ImToo.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now it looks like I was able to transfer the ImTOO folder to iPhoto as per your suggestion. Should I try now to import the remaining photos from ImTOO (clicking on the first icon)? Probably it will create some duplicates! :-( What do you think the next step should be?
Yes, import the remaining photos from ImToo. That is the only option I could think of now. And good thing is, you can always eliminate the duplicates from iPhoto using this app :

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The problem is that it contains about 22.335 photos and again ImTOO freezes. How can I split them to smaller groups?
Well, can't you select as group and then import them ?

Don't import them all at once...First, just select few (like 500 or 1000) and then import them. Then another 1000 and so on
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. It 's gonna be a long work but I will try! Thanks!
Good Luck :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Ashik,

1. I am more or less done with the transfer. However it did not transfer some of the pictures I took in Tel Aviv last november. I can see them on my iPad even under Places but they are not in the ImTOO software and hence nor in the iPhoto Library on my Mac. They were coming from a PhotoStream transfer to my iPad. How can I transfer those as well?

2. The Faces and the Events structure are lost but the Places are ok. Now how should I sync my iPad with the new iPhoto library to not to loose any photos/structure on my iPad?

You can only transfer what can you see in the list in Imtoo

When you sync your Photo Library of your iPad will be replaced with the Photo library of your Mac. It will be replaced. No way to sync without replacing the Library
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this mean that I should never ever again sync my iPad with my Mac in order not to loose something from the iPad? What if I switch of syncing the Photos and only sync the apps, music, etc...?
Sorry for the delay....had to go offline since it was ver late in here. You can sync once you transferred the photos from your iPad to iTunes/Computer.

Yes, you can sync other items like Apps, Musics etc without syncing the photos.