Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my cursor on my Mac G4 started jumping all over the place a

my cursor on my Mac G4 started jumping all over the place a week ago and won't stop which makes it difficult to type It flashes between the pointer and the insert cursor. I was going to try the PRAM reset but I am not sure it will work.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Try the PRAM reset first and also did you tried different mouse ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does it on my computer's trackpad and on the bluetooth track pad. If I try the PRAM Reset how will I communicate with you?
Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me after restart. Also, reset the PMU of your Mac. See here :
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I reset the PRAM and NVRAM I think. The startup sound went 3 times instead of two. Is that a problem. The cursor is still jumping around.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 1)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 2)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

I tried both of those remedies and the disk utility repaired something on my HD and it seemed at first to have fixed the issue but when I go back to my word document the cursor is still jumping around. It flashes in 3 different places in a diagonal line.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do but the last upgrade was downloaded online. I am currently running 10.7.4
10.7.4 ? You said this is Mac G4. G4s doesn't support 10.7 Lion

Is this a Macbook Pro or Macbook ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry it is a MacBook Pro.
Then reset the SMC of your Mac. See here :

You can directly download and reinstall 10.7 Lion from Apple's server. See here :

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys and this will bring the Lion Utilities. From there, select Reinstall OS X. This won't delete any of your files, but will replace the system files with new one.

PS : I'm going offline, it is very late in here. Almost 2:00 AM (IST) and need to get some sleep. Can we continue this tomorrow ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure. I will try this and let you know and we can continue tomorrow if it doesn't work.
Thank You ! :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. Resetting the SMC seems to have done the trick. Thank you!
You're welcome :)