Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I just bought a Apple Thunderbolt Display 27 inches. All seemed

Customer Question

I just bought a Apple Thunderbolt Display 27 inches. All seemed good and I packed it out. Every thing what need is in my Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion and the Display is just black.

Please help me.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

First download and install this update : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1407

Then we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and see if it works or not.

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the answhere.

When I tried to install that update and try to install it, it says "This software is not supported on your system.".

But shouldI try the other thing? Number, 1, 2, 3 and so on?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Try Resetting the PRAM now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried it now. The display is still black :/
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Reset the SMC. See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Also, make sure the connections are not loose, try wiggling the cables.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, that don't seem to work either :/
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Does your Mac recognize your Display ? Goto System Preferences and open Displays. Check there...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I only see a laptop there. But there is power on. I'm charging the battery via the display.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Plugin your Magsafe adaptor and does that helps ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's already plugged in.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We can try Safe Mode. Unplug the display connection from your Mac. Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key on your Keyboard. This will boot your Mac to Safe Mode. Then reconnect the display. Goto System Preferences and open Display and see if it recognize it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
How is it going ? If it still not working, then it is a hardware problem and you will have to take it back to the Apple Store as we already tried all troubleshooting steps so far.

If you are not satisfied, please don't rate my answer bad (1 or 2 ratings are Negative). If you are not satisfied, you can close this page without rating. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried that. It seems to be mountain lion. Read something about it on the internet too. That seems to be it. Have you experienced that before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've also tried with another computer in the house which not has the mountain lion installed. It worked perfectly.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
hmm...then the problem is with your Mac. I have not experienced this problem before. Mountain Lion is compatible with Thunderbolt displays. The only option I could think of now is, reinstall your OS X Mountain Lion. Can you try that ?

See here : http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, thank you for the answhere. I had to go earlier tonight.

Well, I don't know how to reinstall. Do I need a cd for that?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No, you don't need any discs. You can directly download and reinstall Mountain Lion (ML) from Apple's server. See here : http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys and this will bring the ML Utilities. From there, select Reinstall OS X. This won't delete any of your files, but will replace the system files with new one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try that.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

I'm going offline, it is very late in here. Almost 2:00 AM (IST) and need to get some sleep. Can we continue this tomorrow ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, thank you for today ;)
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if reinstallation doesn't worked..
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The reinstallation worked, but the display is still black...
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I'm out of ideas. I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you.

(Please don't rate me Negatively if you are not satisfied)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You haven't heard from anyone yet?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I already opened this question to other experts in here. Most of the experts are offline...someone will get back to you if they have any ideas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just found out that my Macbook Pro is mid 2010. That would say that it don't have thunderbolt. Nice....

I will have to either buy a new Mac or return the display and get a cinema display instead.

Thank you for the expertise. You have been great.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I thought this is a new Macbook Pro and had thunderbolt when you said everything in need is in your Mac. Yes, you should get the normal cinema display to work with your Mac.

Best Regards,