Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

I had to replace my hard drive several days ago and must now

Customer Question

I had to replace my hard drive several days ago and must now use my itunes back-up to replace the lost items. Itunes used to have a step-by-step tutorial to re-input the back-up. Is that still available? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

is it a Mac or Windows machine you are using?

Customer:

WINDOWS.

Steve Herrod :

Generally all that needs to be done is the iTunes folder which includes the ituneslibrary.itl file and itunes music library.xml should be recopied

Steve Herrod :

how was the information backed up?

Customer:

On five (5) DVDs.

Steve Herrod :

ok - just as copies to the discs or using a backup program?

Customer:

It was downloaded from their back-up program.

Steve Herrod :

Ok, if that is the case

Steve Herrod :

then with iTunes open

Steve Herrod :

when you insert the first disc you should receive an option to restore from disc

Steve Herrod :

does that prompt appear?

Customer:

I'm not in itunes yet; I was looking for a procedure. Can I open it up simultaneously with our chat and what is the proper e-mail input for it? Thanks!

Steve Herrod :

sure

Steve Herrod :

yes, load up iTunes

Steve Herrod :

and insert Disc 1

Steve Herrod :

you should get a prompt to restore

Steve Herrod :

and you can do that while chatting

Steve Herrod :

not sure how you mean about proper e-mail input?

Customer:

You know-www.itunes etc.

Steve Herrod :

ah, to download itunes?

Customer:

No, to get it on line.

Steve Herrod :

if the computer is online, then iTunes should automatically be online

Customer:

OK-I have the Apple-itunes website on the other screen. What now?

Steve Herrod :

ok, so what options are at top of the itunes screen?

Customer:

STORE MAC IPOD IPHONE IPAD ITUNES SUPPORT

Steve Herrod :

ok, click on iTunes

Customer:

DONE

Steve Herrod :

and you should get a page with a link which says

Steve Herrod :

iTunes 10.6 free download

Steve Herrod :

click on that and it should take you to the download page?

Steve Herrod :

with a big blue download now button?

Customer:

I'M THERE!

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

click on the download now button

Steve Herrod :

and it should download the itunes setup file?

Customer:

It's working now.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

The installation is in progress.

Steve Herrod :

great

Customer:

Once the icon appears and the installation is finished, I can download the normal way. Can I dump the reload DVDs since thet may be useless at this point?

Steve Herrod :

once the software is installed, load iTunes and put the first disc in

Steve Herrod :

this will then let you choose restore

Steve Herrod :

once the restore process finishes you can dump the reload DVDs although might be worth keeping them as a backup for a couple of weeks?

Customer:

Sounds good-it's reloading now.Can I ask one question re: itunes software? It deals with the printed playlists.

Steve Herrod :

sure - what's up

Customer:

When you make a CD and print out the content titles, it prints out the input source (CD-LP etc. I don't need that info. I need the year of the recording which I have BUT can't get printed. Any remedy?

Steve Herrod :

at the moment there doesn't appear to be - it's a frustrating limitation of iTunes

Steve Herrod :

there are supposed to be some changes coming here with version 11 though

Customer:

Oh well, just four more disks to go (HA-HAAAAAA!). Thanks Steve!

Steve Herrod :

you're welcome!

Customer:

Once this session concludes, can I just pay my $39.99 fee and bug out? You've answered my questions very well but I don't think I'll need additional assistance. OK? Thanks!

Steve Herrod :

yes, that is fine

Steve Herrod :

if you rate the service that will end the chat session

Steve Herrod :

you can however come back to the same chat and ask additional questions or updates without any additional payments being required

Customer:

Thanks again Steve! See ya!

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Steve! I believe I answered (or will answer) your questions as such: (1) no, (2) yesw, and (3) yes-I believe it was excellent (or equivalent). Thanks!

PAUL BUTTERFIELD
Retiree Extraordinaire

Thanks Paul :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Steve! I have no more questions at this time. Your service was excellent

and I would recommend it. Thanks again!

Hi Paul,

Thank you!

Cheers

Steve