Justin
Justin, Network Admin
Experience:  10+ years IT experience (Corporate Network Administration),
2888018

I cannot remember the 2nd password XXXXX created for my WD passport

Customer Question

I cannot remember the 2nd password XXXXX created for my WD passport - which I created through itunes. Is there anyway to remove the password XXXXX to change it without losing any data on the drive?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Justin replied 4 years ago.
Greetings.

As I'm sure you've been told, this is impossible. The reason being is the drive is encrypted, the entire point is to protect the data. An encrypted drive isn't just a matter of a simple password break (not to mention the passports have a lockout policy where you only get a few guesses till it freezes you for a bit).

Even if you were to format the drive, and use a data recovery tool across it, it wouldn't find anything due to how encryption works.

This is the same thing WD should have told you. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and actually, I've ready they are having issues with these units resetting the password to something else due to a technical glitch (which they also can't even resolve).

Your only recourse is if you set up a Guest account, but I'm assuming it wouldn't have access to the data that's on the drive.

The only question I would have, is what second passport are you referring to?