James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

i installed mountain lion last night and now i cant open the

i installed mountain lion last night and now i can't open the daily applications i use because they are power pc based, i.e. quicken 2005 and appleworks. did i jump off a cliff without a parachute?

I can help you get Quicken working again. As for Appleworks, I'm afraid it is a bit more tricky. There is an un-elegant way to open the files with other applications, but the program itself will no longer work. I can give you the link to the article that explains how to do it.

Please let me know if providing these two items (quicken that works and the Appleworks article) would be an acceptable solution.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i can get access to my quicken files and use them that would be huge. The appleworks files are not as critical. i can open one of them with Numbers but not all info came through. the link may be helpful
Ok, great.

For Quicken, you need to get the Quicken 2007 for Lion version. It will automatically convert your existing data files, and you will be able to open them and continue using Quicken. You can get the Quicken program for Lion here:

Here is the article I spoke about, which discusses Appleworks:

If this resolves your issue, I would very much appreciate it if you can rate my answer using the ratings below.

If you do need more help - please do NOT rate yet. Instead, click Reply and let me know. I will gladly keep helping you!

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i installed quicken 2007 but when my old files transferred they were not up to date. is this a quicken issue or did i do something wrong
You might need to open the latest file - from the Quicken/File menu, select open, and open your most recent Quicken file.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i am somewhat of a dinosaur. how do i get to Quicken/File menu
Not need to apologize - I'm glad to help as much as you need.
Run Quicken.
On the menu on the top, click File-->Open
Point it to the data file you want to open, and click Open.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that didn't work but i may have another issue. i have to shut down for the night. if i need help tomorrow i will probably have to start again with just ask
No problem, please talk to me when you need more help.

Please don't forget to rate my service below, many thanks!