Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Cannot get my iphoto slide show/imovie slide show to play on

Customer Question

Cannot get my iphoto slide show/imovie slide show to play on my DVD player.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand if you burned it to disk did the disk play why copy it to thumb drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm just trying everything. Yes the disc and the thumb drive both played the movie on my imac.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What happens when you put it into a DVD player?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a message that says the name I gave it but a pop up says no files available.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Processor: 1.7 GHz Intel Core 15
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Disk was verified OK and permissions repair is complete.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes. And I also exported the slide show to imovie and burned it to DVD. Same message on both.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried a different DVD player some older DVD players cannot play recorded DVDs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. The DVD player I'm using is only 1 year old
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok sorry I'm stumped I'll opt out another expert may be able to help. Good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,Should I be able to export a slide show created in iphoto to imovie and burn the imovie to DVD? About how long would it take to export a slide show the size of 428 mgb?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What was the format you exported as?
WHat I mean is a DVD player is not like a computer in that the files/formats it can see are very limited.
It has to be in a format it can read such as Video with a separate Audio or a combined file in MPEG-2 as standard. iMovie does not encode in that format, iDVD does as does DVD Creator (in the app store).
That will play on your DVD player. As for the player reading it from the thumb drive, it will still need to be in that same format.
The player would have to decompress that file and open it for it to play. Burn it to a DVD disk and you will have what you are trying to achieve.

I do many, many custom videos, weddings, school events, 8mm silent film, etc. I burn them to DVD using iDVD and now since Apple dropped support for iDVD, DVD Creator.

If your DVD player can open a disk image then that is the way to go, or use a real DVD.

Hope that helps.