John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My ipod touch got wet, not it has locked up and I cant get

My ipod touch got wet, not it has locked up and I can't get it to start. Is there any hope?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

How long ago did it get wet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a couple of weeks ago
Thanks. What did you do to recover from that at the time?

Also, if there anything on the screen at all (you mention that it was locked up)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dried it with a towel; the screen shows the battery charging, but the "slide to unlock" doesn't work
In the tragic event of getting something like an iPod wet the outcome is rarely good. However, the chances greatly depend on how quickly you take action.

The usual method for treating this would have been to enclose the device in a plastic bag with a cup or two of dry, uncooked white rice for 2 to 3 days. The reason for this is to pull the moisture out of the internal components and into the rice.

If any water got inside, it's possible the touch portion of the screen or another component is damaged.

However, let’s attempt resolving this issue with your iOS device (iPod) by trying a hard reset, then proceed from there if that does not resolve the problem:

Disconnect the iOS device from it's cord, if plugged in.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10 seconds.

When your screen goes black, release both keys.

The next thing you should see are the Apple logo followed by the home screen a few minutes later.

If the above does not work, plug it straight into a power outlet and try again.

Please note: I can provide expert advice and information only - not for the successful repair of your iPod. When troubleshooting water issues, sometimes the final diagnosis is that it is a physical failure in nature and the ‘answer’ such as in this case may be a recommendation to seek out repair from an authorized service center if the defect in question is not considered “user repairable”. This may be a frustrating answer and I do sympathize but please don't shoot the messenger. Smile

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.