Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have unfortunately let my daughter load the jailbreak application

Customer Question

I have unfortunately let my daughter load the jailbreak application redsnow on her iPod touch (5.1.1) earlier today. Since then, all the screen shows is the Apple logo and, as soon as we unplug it from the PC (Windows XP), it shows that the battery is nearly drained. The iPod has been plugged in for at least 2 hours now. We've tried to reset it, but without success. Is removing redsnow even possible? Can I set the iPod back to the way it was?

Yours in hope,

Julie
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try this:

Force restore iPod
1. Hold down the home button and power button at the same time. This will force the screen to fade and the Apple Logo to reappear. KEEP holding the two buttons down until the iPod shuts off.

2. Once the iPod is off plug one end of the usb cable into the PC .

3. Open iTunes

3. While holding down the Home button plug the cable into the iPod.
Contunue holding the home button until the you the itunes logo and the picture of the cable on the iPod screen. This may take up to 30 seconds.

4. iTunes should now detect the iPod and you can perform a restore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike, thank you so much for your help. We have reset the iPod to factory settings and, while much was lost, a valuable lesson was learned and the Wrath of the Irate Father has been stayed. Now to learn proper backups and never, ever to mess with Apple settings :)

Thanks again,

Julie
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Great, sorry about that.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. I am still here if you have any problems or questions.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Plug the iPod into the computer and open iTunes, right click on the iPod under Devices and go to Restore from Backup there may be some dates there that will bring you back to at least some restore point. Good luck.