Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi I am having trouble with my i photo library. I cannot get

Hi I am having trouble with my i photo library. I cannot get into it and I have 23,000 pictures on it. I have not backed up at all. I have just purchased a new hard drive for this purpose. I did try all sorts of things then I was told I had a new version of i photo and to use that. I may well have downloaded this whilst trying everything else but I cannot see it on my download menu as i just looked. I am in a real mess Mike as i am suck a nerd and the wrong generation to pick up these things,
OK .

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
going to do all that right now... thanks I will be back
Ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The answer was that it seems to be ok. I am now at a loss as to what to do. If I had downloaded a new version of i photo to look at my library it would be on my download menu would't it?
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so go to Applications folder and open iPhoto from there. Go to iPhoto / About iPhoto, what version is listed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am going back to look as when I pressed Repaired permissions it said user stopped I think.... so maybe I didn't do all you told me... going to look again
Ok good idea.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well that all worked.. I think, but the problem I have now is that the download I used was the wrong one. I have to find that and hopefully I will be able to download it for my files to then open. It is 10 past 12 here Mike and I need my bed as I have been unwell for a few days and cannot do any more. I thank you for your help as it was good and I think I can see where I need to go from here Thanks and good night!!
Ok but I never got this info:

Let me know when you come back good night.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry!!version 10.6.8
3.06 GHz Intel Cores Duo

4 GB 1067 mhz DDR3

MacIntosh HD

I cannot find the softwear I need for my i photos now, but I think I will have to give up until tomorrow and hope I get someone as helpful as you. They are telling me that the i photo I have downloaded is the latest and the one I need is Mac OS X version 10.7.4 or later. Why is this so difficult. LOL Thanks for your help...
Just bookmark this page and come back here I will help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike, It is now Friday morning. I did download the new version of i photo version 10.6.8 and I watched the bar going for a while then went to bed. I used to be able to see what I had downloaded but now I cannot. When I was in utilities, the old version I had downloaded popped onto the menu and I clicked it and then it did something and then a cardboard box appeared which meant what? Well it wasn't the right one anyway, so now I have downloaded the proper one and don't know what to do next for it to make my i photo libraries open. Hope you understand and can help me later as I guess you are asleep now as well. Thanks Charlotte basically where did the download go?
If you used the App Store it went to your Applications folder and it should also be in the Dock at the bottom of the screen. Open Applications and look for iPhoto.