James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

Microsoft Word for Mac freezes when I try to launch it. It just displays the last word doc

Microsoft Word for Mac freezes when I try to launch it. It just displays the last word document that I created. I cannot access the file, edit, help functions, and I can only Force Quit it. Suggestions ?
Thanks.
Open Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences/ folder and drag the file(s) listed below to your desktop. Be sure to start from your UserName folder— ~ is shorthand for your user account.

~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist

Now go aheand run Word again.

Please remember to rate my service using the faces below.
If you feel unsatisfied with my service at all, please stop, DO NOT RATE and reply to me via the REPLY tab with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue our discussion and do everything I can to provide you with the excellent service you seek.

Thank you!

James.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
once I open word and then close it what do i do with the files on the desktop (word and office.plist) ?
You can put them in the trash - we no longer need them.

If this worked, please don't forget to rate my service below - thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How long should it take finder to get the files? I typed the file name in the search bar, hit enter and it just stays highlighted. Thanks for your help-I'm new to Mac (in case you couldn't tell).
Oh - perhaps we can just do a remote support session so I can help you?

Click here to start.