Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi, I am having a strange problem with my website thats running

Hi, I am having a strange problem with my website that's running on iWeb.
When I click "Publish" a notice appears 'A folder (with the name the name of my site.) already exists on the server. Do you want to replace it? (the only options offered are to click Replace or Cancel)
So what happens is that every time I publish the smallest change on my website, it's creating a new folder the name of my site. inside the specific folder and so there are now several sub folders with the name of my site being created inside the main folder.
Also, at the end of publishing, the notification 'cannot connect to ftp Server' appears. However, it has connected, and the site is publishing with the changes that have been made, but why is it insisting on replacing the whole website each time and therefore creating a new folder every time?
The problem is not happening on a different website that I have as a subdomain pointing to my main domain name, also on iWeb. This is publishing as it should.
I would be very grateful for your expert opinion and advice,
Thank you very much,
Mary
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a screenshot of your Publishing settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, The message from here won't accept the screen shot of my Publishing Settings. It says the message is too large. Can I forward it to you another way?
Many thanks,
Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: pearl
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://momandpop.ws:8000/Screen%20shot%202012-08-02%20at%2021.53.35.png

Thank you Mike. The above has been downloaded as directed.
Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I can't be sure since I don't know your hosting service but I am guessing public_html is your site root so change the Directory/Path to

public_html/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for that Mike. I see public_html/4ceisteanna.ie/4ceisteanna.ie as my Directory path - therefore is not public_html/
not already in place?
I may be misunderstanding what you are telling me.
Mary
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I mean exactly as I said use as Directory/Path:

public_html/

get rid of:

4ceisteanna.ie/4ceisteanna.ie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good to be clear! Thank you. I'll try that and will let you know asap.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alas no. Exactly the same.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try Publish Entire Site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thanks. I'll let you know
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You may have to clear out what is there since ther are all those subfolders now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Mike. I very much appreciate your help and I think that you are correct. However, I must leave it for now as other duties beckon. I'll hope to get to it sometime tomorrow.
Every good wish to you and again, thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know.

NO Answer is final, PLEASE DO NOT Rate to Finish unless this Answer is correct and you are satisfied. If so then you can Accept and Rate my Service. If it does not solve your problem, please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.