CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

My macbook pro keeps wont start up, just the white screen

Customer Question

My macbook pro keeps won't start up, just the white screen with the apple sign. I dont know what I should do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 4 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
seem like your computer have a corrupted operating system or defective hard drive.

try to reinstall your operating system.

* remember reinstall operating system will not delete your data.

here is how to reinstall osx operating system.

1.if you have leopard 10.5 or snow leopard 10.6 you will need osx installation disc
2.insert in dvd drive, power off, power on again right away hold down C key, keep holding it until you get to a language screen then click right arrow to passed it.
3.after that just follow the direction and reinstall your osx operating system

1.if you have osx Lion 10.7, you dont need osx installation disc
2.just power on your computer right away hold down command and R key
3.keep holding it until you see mac osx utilities screen
4.then select reinstall osx and follow the direction on the screen

after reinstalled osx, test and see if it solved your problem.

****
Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,

JACUSTOMER-1oeiahm9- : Okay, I just wasnt holding c long enough. I got passed the language screen, and its telling me to select the disk where I want to install, but there is nothing to choose.
CompExpert :

unfortunately, if you didnt get any destination drive to choose from that mean the laptop internal hard drive is completely dead and thats why the macbook doesnt even recognized it.

now you have two options to replace the hard drive:

1. bring to apple store and have them replaced for you. if you have important data on your hard drive, you can have apple store do data recovery for you.
or
2. let me know what model and year of your mac and I will give you direction on how to open the laptop and installed it by yourself.

laptop hard drive can be purchase at any computer store for sata 2.5" 500gb hard drive cost about $80.

JACUSTOMER-1oeiahm9- : Well I have everything backed up onto an external hard drive, so if I bought a new hard drive can I use time machine to restore everything? And I bought it from the apple store in 2009. Its a 13 inch macbook pro
CompExpert :

yes, you can

there is an option when you boot from the snow leopard disc to restore from time machine.

JACUSTOMER-1oeiahm9- : You have been very helpful, I am waiting for the mac store to replace the hard drive, and I will probably have a few more questions.
CompExpert :

sure, let me know if you have any related question