CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified

Imac wont boot, error message after running AHT was 4MOT/2/40000004

Customer Question

Imac won't boot, error message after running AHT was 4MOT/2/40000004 HDD 1384, any ideas? Mahalo
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 4 years ago.

CompExpert :

error 4MOT/2/40000004 HDD 1384 meaning the HHD fan rotation is over the limit, 1384 rpm, usually should be under 1200rpm.

also, most of the time you got that error is show that your imac internal hard drive is defective and need replacement.

you can buy new fan on ebay should cost under $30 and 3.5" 500gb SATA hard drive cost about $80.

the hard drive and fan should be under the lcd panel, so removed the lcd panel and you should easily removed hard drive and fan.

fan spin that high or not consistent will caused the failed of the internal hard drive that's why your imac wont boot anymore.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,