Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My MAC HD died, I am trying to restore my pics from my time

My MAC HD died, I am trying to restore my pics from my time capsule through time machine, but the dates prior to the new hd on time machine are greyed out
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You have to restore the whole drive back to what it was. You probably started a new backup and it is not associated with that old one at all now.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Need instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to restore to the old drive. When the technician installed the new HD, he also installed updated software which is 2 to 3 years newer than my old software. If I restore, than I won't have that new software.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then you will have to use the Migration Assistant, in Utilities folder. Open that does it see your backup drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I use it?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go here to

Time Machine or other disk migration

let me know if you need help.

NO Answer is final, PLEASE DO NOT Rate to Finish unless this Answer is correct and you are satisfied. If so then you can Accept and Rate my Service. If it does not solve your problem, please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I finished the migration, but I don't know how to retrieve my photos from iPhoto and movies from iMovie, which is all i really care about
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you restore only the files or your whole account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the whole account
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then you have to logout of your new account and login to your old account. Go to the Apple Logo to Logout. Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything is there! So how do I get all stuff on one account?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid that might be difficult your technician should have restored it before he upgraded your computer software or during install that way you would only have one account. What do you need to move?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all of my music, photos and home videos
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
How long have you been using the new account why can't you just use the old account and delete the new account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that should work, I can just move any new stuff to my portable hd then reload on the new account. I realized a new maybe worse problem. It looks as if I have my macbook account moved to here, and not my old iMac account. Somehow since both are backed up from my one time capsule
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It should have given you the option to choose which backup? So you think you are ok now, I'm confused?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought I was ok, I can move the new stuff from the new profile, but I still haven't seen my old iMac stuff yet.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you open Migration Assistant does it see both backups?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It see one called "iMac ("macbook's MacBook pro") ; which I think is my laptop backup

And one called Macintosh HD ( " Norman cross's MacBook pro") which is my new HD.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Then that is all there is I'm afraid. If you started a new backup with the iMac maybe you replaced the old one, that is why he should have restored it when installing.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. I am still here if you have any problems or questions.

____
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.