CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

The Apple App Store would not allow my purchase of Mountain

The Apple App Store would not allow my purchase of Mountain Lion. Their response was "The product distribution file could not be verified. It may be damaged or was not signed". I then ran Disk Warrior which indicated the File: "com.apple.appstore.plist" Detected that Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired. My iMac is currently running Lion 10.7.4. Any help? Rich Picard

CompExpert :

hi,
seem like your some core files on your osx Lion is corrupted.

try to reinstall osx Lion again and re-download Mountain Lion on app store.

here is how to reinstall Lion:

1.power off computer
2. power on again right away hold down command and R keys, keep holding it until you see a mac osx utilities screen
3. on Mac osx utilities screen, select reinstall osx option and follow the instruction on the screen.

* reinstall osx will not delete your data.

***
Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,

Customer: Your procedure worked fine until I tried to replace Lion. It refused when it rejected my password XXXXX by the way, was correct. I then downloaded Mountain Lion by starting up in Safe Mode. I still have a p
Customer: I still have problems with "com.apple.appstore.plist" and the damaged Property List data

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

hi again,

there might be some bugs on this chat, I didnt get a notification email when you reply.

were you able to purchase other app or just Lion osx?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
, A little backtracking..When you asked me to reload Lion it asked for my ID and password XXXXX it did not accept. At this point I started up in safe mode and while in safe mode was allowed to purchase and download 10.8 Mountain Lion using the same ID and password. I restarted the computer and ran DiskWarrior again and got exactly the same error: File: "com apple.appstore.plist"
Detected that Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired. Conversion of data failed. The file is not UTF-8, or in the encoding specified in XLM header if XML. Location: "Macintosh HD/users/name/library/Cookies/"
Personal note, This problem prevents me from buying anything from the App Store and I can't keep playing with Safe Mode. Rich
hi,
when you reload Lion osx, you suppose to enter your osx username and password XXXXX the apple ID and password.

so try to enter your osx operating log in username and password.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where do I find an osx user name and password? I don't remember ever seeing or using one.
before do you have to log into osx operating system or it does automatically?

go to safe mode, open system preferences --->> users & groups

click the lock icon at the bottom to unlock it, it will asked your for your current password. if your account is not a admin account then you need to asked whoever used admin account for password.

you can change your password XXXXX the same area too.

if you never set a password XXXXX your osx username, just enter username and nothing for password XXXXX reinstallation of Lion
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had this problem with Lion to begin with. Why would I want to go back there?
you said you didnt know your username and password.

you dont have to go to safe mode if you dont want to, you just need to log back into osx

go to system preferences --->> users and groups and find your username and password XXXXX there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I said before, I was able to load Mountain Lion by doing so in Safe Mode. Since the error is still there can't we use mountain loin? I don't if I can reload Lion anyway.
yes, like I said seem like some core files on the operating system is corrupted.

both mountain Lion and Lion re-install operating system using the same method.

* make sure you computer is connected wired to the internet and not wifi ( wireless)
so connect ethernet cable from your computer to your internet router.

power on and hold down command and R keys until you get into mac os utilities screen, in there it will give you an option to re-installed osx .

or

if not we can format (erased) the hard drive first then reinstall osx operating system again if your data is not important.

most people do clean installation of osx because they having old data that caused problem.

if you want clean installation, at the mac os utilities screen, select disk utility --->>> select your hard drive name, click erase tab, then click erase.

after done erased hard drive, closed that windows and click re-install osx and follow the screen the reinstall osx operating system
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The osx was reinstalled using your 1st option. What now?
after reinstalled osx, try to open app store and see if you still running into problem

you can redownload mountain Lion by go to apple store.

• Launch the Mac App Store and hold down the “Option” while clicking on the “Purchases” tab
  • Locate “OS X Mountain Lion” in the list, and click on the “Install” button to redownload
  • Find the “Install OS X Mountain Lion” app in your /Applications/ folder when finished downloading
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The problem with the app store seems to be fixed. The bad plist is still there and what problems it may cause is unknown, but the main issue is gone so thanks much for putting up with me ad this problem, Rich P.
you're welcome.

please rate my service. thank you
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience: Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would still like to get that com.apple.appstore.plist file fixed, but that is likely an Apple issue...
most .plist file are just preference file. when you delete it a new one will general after re-open that app.

open finder, hold down option key on your keyboard, click word "go" on the top menu

then select library --->> preferences ---->>> find com.apple.appstore.plist

and trash it

after that try to open app store again
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I trashed the plist and had no problem opening the App Store and I ordered a book useing my ID and password XXXXX no problem. Thanks for the extra fix, Rich