Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

Ra-GM

Customer Question

I was updating the os on my ipad to ios 5 via itunes. The update down loaded, the ipad backed up but then the ipad locked up and there was an error message. There is a image of a cable and an arrow pointing at an itunes icon. Nothing else works. If i lug into my pc to access itunes it does not recognize the ipad. Brought it to Best Buy for help but there was no change in the ipad when he plugged it in.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you with your question.

It appears that the software has been corrupted and it's now stuck. Please try to repair/restore the iPad with the following instructions.

To do so it will need to be put into DFU mode. Then you will need to restore the iPad through iTunes.

Open iTunes and connect the iPad to your PC.

Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button(top of iPad) at the same time.

After exactly 10 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

You should receive a message in iTunes that your device is in recovery mode.

The iPad screen will remain black.

NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPad into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!

Once in the DFU mode click on Restore in "iTunes" to restore the iPad. You can then sync your iPad to iTunes to restore your media.

If you have any questions please REPLY BACK TO ME before selecting any negative rating.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nothing is happening except the apple logo or the arrow to a itunes icon appears on the ipad. There is an audible from the itunes on the pc as if it is being plugged in or unplugged.

Expert:  Cris replied 4 years ago.
OK, sometimes you have to do these steps a few times before it's picked up on iTunes for recovery mode.

Please try it a few times and let me know.