Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

Every time I close my laptop cover or my computer goes to sleep

Customer Question

Every time I close my laptop cover or my computer goes to sleep or is restarted, I have to go through the incredibly obnoxious process of entering network passwords over and over again. I get messages saying "Messages needs your password" and "Calendar needs your password". Is there any way to shut this off? Can't I just stay logged in to these things? I seriously need to enter my password XXXXX least 4 different times before I can check an email!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? ie. 10.5.6 or 10.7.2

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using the newest OS -- Mountain Lion
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Resetting power management is needed for the sleep issues.

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Passwords are stored by Keychain.

Click on the face icon left-hand side of your dock

Click on Go and Utilities

Open the Keychain Access application

Click on keychain in the top left and choose keychain first aid

Click on repair

Login and Click Start.

Start the apps again to see if they prompt you for a password.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I will try this when I get home and let you know later today how it went.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
ok Sounds good. I'll talk to you later
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, I tried that, but no real change. It seems like every time I restart or every time the machine goes to sleep and wakes up I have to enter the damn admin password like four times in a row. The mail passwords as well sometimes. :(
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
I haven't seen this issue with mountain lion. I'm going to open this up to other experts. You'll receive an email when another expert takes over