iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

ra - jac

Customer Question

I have been trying to make a photo book like I have in the past but it is not finishing the order. It does the first part of the download and most of the time the second part. Then it stops and says there is a problem and I retry and get the same results. I have made these books and calenders before and my problems seem to be since I upgraded my OS system first to tye one before mountain lion and now mountain lion. I also bought a 4s Iphone about six months ago and I can not get them in sync it may be an old password XXXXX I do not remember. Would like them all working together. I also am planning on buying an iPad very soon. I really want to make this book, it will be a wedding album. Thanks.. Tom
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.

iteachmac :

Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

Please is an error stated ?

iteachmac :

Ok normally this problem is to do with one or more of the photos used in the book .

iteachmac :

We can try rebuilding the library to see if that fixes the problem .

iteachmac :

Important , make sure there is enough free space on the Mac HD .
20GB free , Plus the total size of the Pictures folder / iPhoto Library . .

Rebuilding the iPhoto Library to correct problems .

You may need to rebuild your iphoto library!

Please download iPhoto Library Manager tool and use its rebuild function.

or use iphotos repair modes :

Hold down the CMD & Alt while opening iPhoto and select rebuild library...

This should get you up and running again , or you may be presented with the following options :

1) rebuild the photos' small thumbnails
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails (this may take a while)
3) rebuild the iphoto library database
4) recover orphaned photos in the iphoto library folder
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions

Please carry out the options for repair / rebuild of the iphoto library in the order below:

3) rebuild the iphoto library database.

If needed.
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions.

If needed.
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails .

You should run a full repair on your Mac HD and repair permissions also for Mac HD .
You may fix issues that are related and more wide spread , a possible cause for the problem with iphoto library . .

Checks for correct running of OSX and applications on Mac OSX .

The Mac HD needs around 8 GB free to work correctly , esp with caches for imovie , iphoto etc ,and or scratch disk use with other applications ..

if you have allot of mp3 or movies on your Mac HD an less than 20GB free maybe its a good time to get an external HDD for extra storage ?

I can help relocate photos and itunes media folder if needed?

It maybe some problems have been going on for a while with your system!

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

For Permissions , external drives , time machine and memory sticks , you can Repair without booting to the Mac OSX startup disk :
Open Disk Utilities from the Applications/Utilities folder.

Review this video to become familiar with the below procedure ..

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

If there's still no difference with your issue , please let me know .

It maybe time to trash the iphoto preferences file , " ".

Please Trash the plist file , " " .
Found in the Mac HD / Users / Youruser / Library / Preferences /

If your using Lion , Use the Finder Go menu , Go to folder - to get to the folder . Paste : ~/Library/Preferences/ , and hit Enter .

Reboot and then launch iPhoto and test .

Please provide all details of the remaining problem if any after the repairs are carried out to the Mac HD OSX installation , including what applications are affected .

Please let me know if you need any extra info regarding the above?

I will give full instructions to do so if necessary.

I hope this helps .

Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Please reply here if you have extra info .