CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

My MAC Mini will not go into sleep mode if I go through menu.

My MAC Mini will not go into sleep mode if I go through menu. It will stay asleep if I use the hot corners but may also keep wake up right away. I tried different mice to see if it was the mouse moving but it doesn't matter.

There was time when it would wake up from sleep mode a few minutes later. I have not changed anything or added any new things to the MAC.
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
try this method to see if your computer problem is hardware or software?

go to system preferences ---->>> account, click the little lock icon, make sure its unlocked.

after that create a new user account, then log into your new user account and test the sleep mode, see if the same problem occurred.

give me an update after that. thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's too soon to tell as it happens randomly but in the test account it worked fine. Also I can get it to sleep using the top hot corners instead. I tested it in my account and the Mini went to sleep. Lately, the menu option will not let it sleep.
is that the samething happen, when you on the test account too?

log into the test account and used the menu option to see if it can get your mac to sleep?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It works in test account too. It hasn't been a huge problem lately but still does not stay asleep for very long. Doing disk repair may or may not help it but it was more frequent before.
im not sure this is related to just your current user account or with test account too.

i mean not stay asleep for very long problem.

so take your time, play around with the test account see if that still happen.

if everything work perfectly on your test account. I think you might need to trasnfer all your data from currently account to test account and used test account instead.

removed current account after transfered.

now if the problem still occurred in test account, then we might have to reload your operating system.

* reinstall osx will not delete your data

here is how:

1.if you have leopard 10.5 or snow leopard 10.6 you will need osx installation disc
2.insert in dvd drive, power off, power on again right away hold down C key, keep holding it until you get to a language screen.
3.after that just follow the direction and reinstall your osx

1.if you have osx Lion 10.7, you dont need osx installation disc
2.just power on your computer, right away hold down command and R key
3.keep holding it until you see mac osx utilities screen
4.then select reinstall osx and follow the direction on the screen

****
Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop and click on the "Reply to Expert" link with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It could be a OS issue because it was not a problem before so it's possible to after several updates that caused the issue. I have 10.6.8.

I tried reloading TIger but it didn't help. I upgraded to Snow Leopard (upgrade disk though not full version) and that didn't fix it. I shall play around with it the next few days.

Thank you for your time.
you're welcome.

like you said, if the problem is not happen before and just suddenly happened after a updates then the updates might be the caused of your problem.

since we cannot uninstall updates, we have to reinstall the osx operating system, just to bring it back into the earlier version.

remember, after reinstall your osx operating system will go back to the version before the updated.

for ex: update to snow leopard is 10.6, update from software update will go up to 10.6.8
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience: Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified