Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My MacPro wont boot up.

My MacPro won't boot up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer bad/negatively (First two left Stars/Faces/Ratings are Negatives) but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Turn off your Mac for 20 minutes and also unplug the Power cable. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key on your Keyboard. This will bring the startup manager. From startup manager, select the Mac OS X Install disc and press return. Does that boot into the disc ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Option Key, is that the Apple Command Key?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Option key is the alt key next to control key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Google it and found this out
In UK not labelled Option.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is the key between control and apple key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I will Replug in Mac and reboot with That key {Called Alt in UK} at 15.25.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have my Hard Drives on my screen.
Do I just choose a safe one to boot up from?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can't you find the Mac OS X Install Disc on the startup manager screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but unwilling to risk that one after all the trouble I had Earlier.
I can do what I want another way, without booting from it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We can run Disk Utility from disc to repair the files.Just select the disc in there and press return. This will boot your Mac into the disc. Let me know once you did that...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SUCCESS.
I am now booted up on my Primary OS Drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear that. I'd recommend to run Disk Utility and Repair the disc and Repair Permission

Let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have repaired My boot-up drives {Both were OK.} It seems the fault is elsewhere.
I then Erased myXXXXX and attempted to install Snow-Leopard on it, but my System would not let me. Presumably it was second guessing me wrongly, assuming I wanted to install it on the current System drive. Not realising I meant a different drive altogether.
If there is an easy way to tell it to install itself on a DIFFERENT Drive, I'd be glad to hear it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can easily install it just like you install it on the internal drive. But before installing on it, you have to make the external drive bootable. Connect your external hd to your Mac and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your external hard disk. Click on the partition tab, select 1 partition from the drop-down box. To make the drive bootable, you will need to format it with GUID Partition Table, so make sure that’s selected by clicking on Options.
graphic
Then erase it. Boot into the Snow Leopard disc and install on it. Refer this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPfgufrVRA

Or you can simply clone your internal drive to your external drive using this application : http://www.bombich.com/