David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

When I click on the "apple" icon at the top left hand corner

Customer Question

When I click on the "apple" icon at the top left hand corner of my Mac, and then place the curser on "recent items" why do all of my applications listed have a ".app" after them?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions :)

The Recent menu lists previously accessed files, and in OS X applications are files with the file extension .app

When you look at Apps in the Applications folder, the file extension is hidden, so you don't see the .app extension. But if you click on an App, and click File - Get Info, you will see the name of the App and the file extension .app

The Recent menu shows the file extension as it is listing them as files, and therefore also shows the extension.

If you have any questions about it, please feel free to get back to me.